PDA

View Full Version : Copper :huh::huh: UPDATED

aloldstuff
07-08-2012, 02:16 PM
I found this in Springfield today and I looked in my Red book but found nothing similar. to the left of the head I can make out CONV (I think). The reverse looks toasted but I have it soaking in oil so maybe something will come out of it. If anybody can identify this coin please chime in.

Thanks for reading and drink plenty of water

UPDATE

Thanks for looking and I have put up I hope better pictures. Joan thinks that the word to the left is CONVENTION and now I think the person looks like a pilgrim:huh::huh::huh:thinkingabout:

chief5709
07-09-2012, 04:41 AM
Neat find! maybe a Convention coin?

tanacat
07-09-2012, 04:04 PM
:wow: That is a neat looking coin Al- I'm curious what it is too! I'll help you look :)

What's the size of it? Typical copper? That makes sense that it be a convention coin (conv)... hopefully you'll get some more detail w/oil and maybe a wooden toothpick?

del
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Al , i'm sorry my imagination isn't what it use to be :dontknow: is there anyway you can post a picture with a little more detail.

Dan

tanacat
07-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Isn't that U.S. before Convention :yes:

aloldstuff
07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Isn't that U.S. before Convention :yes:

Now that you said that I think you are right....political?

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-09-2012, 08:42 PM
pretty cool lookin whatever it is! nice find.get a closer up pic and maybe you can get it IDed

aloldstuff
07-10-2012, 07:12 AM
Thanks for looking HMN but that is probable the best picture I can post up. I have been allover the internet searching, us convention token, coin, copper and still no match

aloldstuff
07-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Now I am pretty sure that the wording is US CONVENTION SPRINGFIELD MASS and the individual is Samuel Chapin whose statue is in the quadrangle of Springfield. However I cannot find out why this coin was issued.

07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
AWESOME FIND!! Maybe some type of convention token? Did you take a rubbing of the back to see if you can get anything? Try the front also. NICE FIND!! ....HH.... 401K

del
07-12-2012, 05:55 PM
hey Al this one has even stumped a couple of knowledgeable guys on the other forum , you definately have the right individual on the front (Samuel Chapin the first Deacon of Springfield Ma.) . could it be some sort or religeous convention medal for Deacons , preachers or the like that happened in Springfield or just from the Mass. area towns ?? its size and copper looks old or has some aged look about it . its probably a centennial , bicentennial or tricentennial convention from the founding of springfield so i would look at 1736 or 1836 or 1935

tanacat
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
I've also looked for a date/another sample to no avail :dontknow: The history is interesting...

It must be pretty rare! You could contact massachusetts coin dealers :thinkingabout:

aloldstuff
07-13-2012, 08:58 AM
hey Al this one has even stumped a couple of knowledgeable guys on the other forum , you definately have the right individual on the front (Samuel Chapin the first Deacon of Springfield Ma.) . could it be some sort or religeous convention medal for Deacons , preachers or the like that happened in Springfield or just from the Mass. area towns ?? its size and copper looks old or has some aged look about it . its probably a centennial , bicentennial or tricentennial convention from the founding of springfield so i would look at 1736 or 1836 or 1935

Del,

I have been all over the internet to no avail. Thanks for the dates, as of right now I have it in my book with my other tokens. I really do not like finding something that I don't know what it is. Bugs the heck out of me. >:{

aloldstuff
07-13-2012, 09:02 AM
I've also looked for a date/another sample to no avail :dontknow: The history is interesting...

It must be pretty rare! You could contact massachusetts coin dealers :thinkingabout:

Tana, some day I will bring it to a coin dealer and ask his opinion. It would be great if it was a rare item.....