PDA

View Full Version : After a long hiatus

z118
07-09-2012, 09:03 AM
The whole buying a house, selling a house, moving business has kept me from detecting for a little over a month. I tried to get out a few weeks ago but on the drive there I got into a car accident and totaled my car. Thankfully no one was hurt (and the detectors were undamaged). However, having to buy a new car in the middle of moving is not so much fun. I do not recommend it to anyone.

At any rate, we are in the new house now and have the old house pretty well emptied out, and hopefully we will close in a few weeks and life will begin to slowly get back to normal. I was feeling a bit emotional after removing the last few things from our old house yesterday... our new house is nicer in many ways but I had put a lot of work and sweat and living into the old house and can't help but feel like I'm leaving a lot of myself there. I figured some long overdue swing time would help me get things back into perspective. So with a few hours to spare I headed to an odd wooded spot that gave up a nice seated dime my last hunt there. I manage to drive there without totaling my care this time (nice).

Conditions were very dry, and the site is now very much overgrown, so I was not too hopeful about finds but frankly did not really care - I was just hoping for some time to collect my thoughts in the woods. I hunted for about an hour and 45 minutes with only two Lincoln pennies to show for it, along with a few bullets, a bunch of junk, and about 1,000 prickers on my socks and shorts. I was enjoying the time though, and figured I'd head out soon happy with just two cents. But then I got lucky and hit what seemed like a coin tone. I dug and lo and behold out pops a nice, well worn, 1902 Barber. It made my day. In fact it's making my day again today. It may make my whole week.

More and more lately I seem to equate finds with what is going on in my life at the time... For as little hunting as I've done this year I've made several very nice finds (for me) and they are tied in my mind with certain milestone events that occurred around the same time. This Barber here will forever be linked in my mind with emptying out the old house, and the bittersweet feelings that brought.

Anyway... thanks for reading, and happy hunting.

RobW
07-09-2012, 10:38 AM
I completly understand the whole buying a house and not having time for detecting....between being overwhelmed at work with client buying and selling, and me picking up a house to fix up and sell, I've lost a lot of detecting time this year myself and havn't been on the board at all!. Sorry to hear about the accident, glad all is well!

I always love seeing those barbers!!!!! :loveit:

aloldstuff
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
If you could ever see the inside of my house, its loaded with collectibles and I would dread the thought of boxing everything up. Great to see that your ordeal is almost over with and very sorry about the car accident. Getting yourself a Barber is but a small reward for your time off from detecting. Welcome back.

starman2
07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
:perfect10:! Glad to hear your swingin again! Even if it's just for a little while. A nice Barber will always make things seem better. :congrats:! Hope you get out somemore now that things are settling down. HH! :groovy:

del
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
hey Z its great to see you on the forum , sorry to hear about the car but congrats on the new one ( couldn't you of just asked the wife for a new one instead of totaling the old one ;) glad you are ok :yes: ) and a new house too. |:cheering: |:cheering: :congrats: on the barber , great pictures by the way :clapping: :clapping:

Dan

jkress
07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Welcome back to treasure hunting Z. :clapping: The Barber is a great find.
Hope your life settles down a little and you can get back to your regular hunts. :->