PDA

View Full Version : Silver Road Trip

angellionel
03-20-2010, 07:56 PM
This year I had not been to any of the parks located in Central MA, so today I took a long drive to detect at a few of them. I split my time detecting at three parks in the hopes of finding some old silver. Upon arriving at the first park, a small one I had worked last year, I saw that the area I had planned to detect was being used by a small group of people interviewing and filming several children. I'm not sure what it was for, but I knew I would not be able to detect at that park for long. I gave the outer edges of the park a cursory sweep of the coil before moving on to park number two.

The second park was better, though a bit active with people walking their dogs or jogging. I selected an elevated part of the park away from the crowd and began to detect. I spent a good amount of time there during which I dug up four silver coins, a 1907-O Barber quarter, a 1946 Washington quarter, and two mercury dimes, dated 1939 and 1941.

The surface trash made it hard to accurately pinpoint one target. I was a bit off when cutting the plug. If it hadn't been for the probe I likely would have nicked the coin. It turned out to be a 1907-O Barber quarter.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/1907Obarberinsoil_032010.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/1907Obarberquarter_032010.jpg

It was now late afternoon, so I drove to the third park. It had yielded some old coins in past hunts. This time I picked up two silver coins before I had to leave, a 1923 mercury dime, and a 1900 Barber quarter.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/1900barberinsoil_032010.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/1900barberquarter_032010.jpg

I would have been happy with just one old silver coin, but I'll take more when the park offers them.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/silverquarters_032010.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/silverdimes_032010.jpg

The three parks yielded a few wheat cents too, with some old ones in the bunch.

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/March/wheatcents_032010.jpg

HH!

z118
03-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Amazing finds as always! Drop me a line if you ever make a road trip into New York!

Beefcake
03-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Awesome job! I went out tonight and got skunked....nada ....bupkiss.... not one single coin. Turn that detector down up there....you're sucking all the coins up to the NE!

coinnut
03-20-2010, 09:30 PM
You seem to be infected with a bad disease called Barberitise :lol: Maybe Angie can prescribe a shot for that ;) Nothing painful just a needle about a foot long :cheesysmile: Nice couple of old quarters there :thumbsup01: A good silver day again. Some old wheats too. It was a picture perfect day out! :yes:

SeabeeRon
03-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Boy, the Barber is sure a beautiful coin!! :yes:

del
03-21-2010, 12:13 AM
great looking coins Angel , on a day like today your lucky there was any room at the parks
everybody and their mother was outside today soaking up the sun .

angellionel
03-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys!

Awesome job! I went out tonight and got skunked....nada ....bupkiss.... not one single coin. Turn that detector down up there....you're sucking all the coins up to the NE!

Don't give up. It will click for you... just keep hitting sites known to have yielded old coins and other goods and you should start to see some action. :yes:

You seem to be infected with a bad disease called Barberitise :lol: Maybe Angie can prescribe a shot for that ;) Nothing painful just a needle about a foot long :cheesysmile: Nice couple of old quarters there :thumbsup01: A good silver day again. Some old wheats too. It was a picture perfect day out! :yes:

I like that disease. :lol: I don't want a cure. :cheesysmile: It sure was a beautiful day... and more to come. :thumbsup01:

great looking coins Angel , on a day like today your lucky there was any room at the parks
everybody and their mother was outside today soaking up the sun .

Yeah, the parks did get very busy. :shocked02: At least I had my own piece of ground to play with. :lol:

Epi-hunter
03-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Angel told me again this morning... I will be happy if I find just one silver coin today. :rofl: :rofl: Yeah, right! :rofl: :rofl: Sure you will! :rofl: :rofl:

I think I heard about that 1900 barber quarter right about the time I was digging the twelve-inch memorial penny :lol: Seriously, it doesn't surprise me that you found silver in that park again, even though we did hit it hard. That place was so much fun... I would give anything to be able to go back there today and do some gridding. That place still has silver.

Congrats on all the beautiful coins! Looking forward to seeing what you produce today. :)

randy
03-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Beautiful silver there Angel, just amazing.

angellionel
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Angel told me again this morning... I will be happy if I find just one silver coin today. :rofl: :rofl: Yeah, right! :rofl: :rofl: Sure you will! :rofl: :rofl:

I was serious. :lol: :lol: Okay, maybe two is what I should have said. :lol:

tanacat
03-21-2010, 08:41 PM

I think I heard about that 1900 barber quarter right about the time I was digging the twelve-inch memorial penny :lol: Seriously, it doesn't surprise me that you found silver in that park again, even though we did hit it hard. That place was so much fun... I would give anything to be able to go back there today and do some gridding. That place still has silver.

Congrats on all the beautiful coins! Looking forward to seeing what you produce today. :)

You've prob already explained but with the gridding do you use little stakes with ribbons? :huh:

coinnut
03-22-2010, 07:56 PM
You've prob already explained but with the gridding do you use little stakes with ribbons? :huh:

I guess we should have elaborated a bit.... Angel is an android and he can project a grid pattern on the grass :rofl: He can actually see the silver coins in the ground and he just goes ahead and digs them :rolleyes:. I think he just walks very slowly and repeats the process from a couple of directions. It's slow, tedious work, but it pays off big time. You have no idea how many targets are missed by going fast :yes:

tanacat
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I guess we should have elaborated a bit.... Angel is an android and he can project a grid pattern on the grass rofl He can actually see the silver coins in the ground and he just goes ahead and digs them :rolleyes:. I think he just walks very slowly and repeats the process from a couple of directions. It's slow, tedious work, but it pays off big time. You have no idea how many targets are missed by going fast :yes:

hahahahaha :bop: okay you still didn't answer my question... Mr. Sarcasm... I'm sure gridding is used often in big parks/ fields? There's prob threads on this already huh :cheesysmile:

angellionel
03-22-2010, 09:11 PM
:lol: :lol:

I don't use stakes or any such items. :) I just use features found at the location, like trees, shrubs, etc, to help me stay within a reasonably straight line while employing a grid. Below is an image showing the type of grid I will use at most fields - when I'm in the mood that is. :lol:

http://www.angellionel.com/misc/detectinggrid.jpg

tanacat
03-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks Angel! Actually that's pretty much how I hunt plowed fields for arrowheads... with a pile of flint at the end of rows to mark them. Of course footprints in the soil are a good way to tell where ya been. That would be helpful with MD'ing! (footsteps in the soil :lol:)

Beefcake
03-22-2010, 10:00 PM
That's pretty much how I hunt 75% of the time. Not quite the same results however :rolleyes:

handyman
03-22-2010, 10:08 PM
You off to a great year, all that silver makes me :drool:

coinnut
03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
It just goes to show you that our machine patterns and settings are important, but the method of searching is very important. Sometimes we get caught up in wanting other peoples programs and don't pay enough attention to how we hunt. I know for sure, my finds increase when I settle in and take my time, concentrate and grid an area. It sound like non important stuff, but I bet it will find more for you, even using your own settings. Angel has shown us that the silver is still there, along with Indians, wheats, etc... we just have to figure out a system for finding it. Nice of him to share his system :thumbsup01: Thanks Angel ;)