PDA

View Full Version : heading to lake michigan this weekend

carl2112
07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
im heading to lake michigan this weekend and hoping i hit the jackpot i havent had much luck with the great lakes so far and this is quiet a drive for me so i hope its worth it. i have a hard time MDing once the water gets too deep and the waves start crashing into me makes pin pointing very difficult i dont know how you guys can do it in the ocean . so any tips or advice for me will be greatly apperciated

tanacat
07-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Oops I think your thread got overlooked- there's not a whole lot of action in this section lately... I don't have much advice, I hunted at Nag's Head for a few days when I first started detecting years ago (with my Whites Prism IV) and was happy to find some clad. I've learned a little bit more since then and am looking forward to going back to the shore w/my V3i. I read that you should walk towards the surf instead of along the shore and the type of detector you use is important. I'm sure you prob already know that though :)

Good luck this weekend at Lake Michigan |:cheering:

RaZR
07-12-2012, 09:18 PM
I have found only one small bracelet bead at the beaches on lake Michigan. At one i found some clad, but that was in the dry sand. Most metal should be in between where the wet sand and the closest wave edge. Or where the waves hit the shore. In only a few inches of water. Michigan beaches will never give the goodies that Florida and California beaches do. Nobody that still lives in Michigan can afford jewelry or has money to lose. rofl

But good luck hitting the sand. Hope you have better luck than i have.

carl2112
07-16-2012, 03:12 PM
well lake Mi was a big bust 3 hours and only .86 in clad some sunglasses and lots of bottle caps and pull tabs where i went was a dog beach so i was expecting to find some tags or a collar but nothing of well still cant beat the beach and water for hunting in this heat looks like ill keep sticking with the water till it cools down and the ground softens up some

aloldstuff
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Sorry to hear the trip was a bust. At least you were able to stay cool in the water, or by the water. Water hunting is a whole different world.