PDA

View Full Version : A Wheat Field, 22 Man Hours, and 2 Coins

milco
07-12-2012, 10:56 PM
We made it out to a wheat field just recently harvested that I have wanted to hit for several years. There were four of us today that hit this field for a total of 22 man hours. We definitely found the home site, with tons or iron in the ground and nails. Hi-tones were scarce, but there were two coins found, both by my uncle (Yes Joe, he out did me again on another hunt! :poke:) He found these two beauties, two fatties, 1859 and 1862 IH's. Those were the only coins of the day, but the good news is we found this home site, which according to my research was there circa 1850 - 1900 in the middle of this field.
I am now going to recover from my heat exposure (91 today) and sunburn, man if only I had found a shiny silver, my neck would not hurt quite so bad!

Here are my finds for the day:
[attachimg=2]

freemindstuck
07-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Those are pretty cool. Nice finds. thumbsup01 Did you dig any of the iron? You can't find your flint lock if you don't dig at least the larger targets. And I get bored with to much swinging and not enough digging.

CODY
07-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Nice finds. :congrats: There will be more.

Tony Two-Cent
07-13-2012, 05:52 AM
Two great fatties! :clapping:

Is there still wheat stubble in the field or has it been tilled?

POKIE73
07-13-2012, 06:22 AM
great finds there i have got close to a fatty 1865 but have yet to get one congrats on your finds dennis

aloldstuff
07-13-2012, 06:55 AM
The silver always makes the aches and pains go away. At least you have found the homesite and know where to go back to. There has to be some other coins just waiting for you. Congrats on getting the 2 IH's

starman2
07-13-2012, 07:19 AM
|:cheering:! Always love the IH's WTG!! :waving:

tanacat
07-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Nice! :clapping: How satisfying to find those way out in the middle of a field :wow:

milco
07-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Two great fatties! Is there still wheat stubble in the field or has it been tilled?

Thanks Tony! Yes there was stubble about 2-4 high depending on where you were swinging. It was one of the toughest hunts my uncle and I have ever been on! I am wiped out today, glad its Friday! Seeing my uncle dig these two coins was awesome! By the way, on his MXT they rang up at 26-28 VDI in the ground about 4 deep, and a solid 32 in an air test.

milco
07-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Did you dig any of the iron?

We dug a lot of iron, but I was amazed at how heavily infested with iron this site was. Lots of potential for more goodies there! We will go back again when they disc/plow the field.

jkress
07-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Glad you were finally able to hunt the field. :clapping:

You guys did pull some interesting items. Definitely old ground.
Love the two fatties. :smitten: I'm still searching for my first.

Great stuff Darren. Next time make your uncle hunt left handed. lol

milco
07-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Glad you were finally able to hunt the field. :clapping:

You guys did pull some interesting items. Definitely old ground.
Love the two fatties. :smitten: I'm still searching for my first.

Great stuff Darren. Next time make your uncle hunt left handed. lol

Thanks Joe! I forgot to take a picture of the field and the finds from the other guys, there were some other very old buckles and suspender buckles, straps and misc brass and copper items. We will go back again and hopefully find silver!

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-14-2012, 05:17 PM
keep workin that spot.those are 2 great coins and the relics are screaming come bacK!