PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

toehead
03-21-2010, 10:06 AM
So, I was having a conversation with MIDigger, and we were wondering if increasing the sensitivity would drain your batteries faster? What is the consensus American Detectorists?

coinnut
03-21-2010, 06:58 PM
I would think yes. Anytime you use more of the machine's functions, it will drain the battery quicker, but adding sensitivity is better than adding additional filters or other functions (circuits). I don't think you will see a massive drain on your batteries if you set your machine's sensitivity up by a couple of numbers. I would think it would be minimal. I ran my DFX hot all the time and never had a battery issue. They lasted the full hunt and more.

angellionel
03-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I tend to run my machine 'hot' most times, bu I haven't had an issue with the batteries running low too soon. :)

CyberSage
03-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Increasing the sensitivity should not decrease your battery life on the DFX. Running in single frequency 3kHz will cause an increased drain, but not significant enough to worry about. The biggest drain on your battery would be from not using headphones and pushing everything through the built=in speaker. I would imagine that all metal or mixed modes would be a little more demanding as well, but still negligible. Carry a spare with you and you don't have to worry. ;)

Keep Swing'in
Jack

hoser
03-24-2010, 09:45 AM
What Jack said. And to add to that, using the backlight will draw them down as well. So you will have to limit your night time stealth hunts. :tongue: rofl

toehead
03-24-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, the question was more of a general question than my machine specifically. I personally haven't had any issues with premature battery drain with the DFX. I am also planning on bringing an extra fresh set along.
I guess if cranking up sensitivity drains battery life it is something I personally would deal with to get the added depth.

coinnut
03-25-2010, 02:18 PM
I think what CyberSage and hoser said, would be the top 2 things for draining a battery. The back light, followed by using the machines speaker at full volume (no headphones). Sensitivity would rate much lower on the scale I would think.

CyberSage
03-26-2010, 09:12 PM
What Jack said. And to add to that, using the backlight will draw them down as well. So you will have to limit your night time stealth hunts. :tongue: rofl

The backlight! How could I forget about that. Good grief. Good job on that one Hoser!

Jack