PDA

View Full Version : My other hobby & latest find

milco
07-14-2012, 05:38 PM
There are a couple of you that know that my first hobby is philately and historical letters and documents (postal history) related to Wisconsin. I recently was fortunate to acquire this item for my collection. 1844 stampless folded letter from Washington City to Nathaniel P Tallmadge, Governor Wiskonsin Territory, Taycheida, Wiskonsin. I am real excited about this find so I thought I would post here as well.

Tony Two-Cent
07-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Wow, that's a terrific historical item, Milco! Did you find it locally or online? (eBay?)

I also love historical letters and documents from central Illinois, and I buy all of them that I run across that pertain to Piatt County, IL.

My oldest is a stampless folded letter from 1850 addressed to William H. Piatt who donated the land that our county courthouse occupies on the town square in Monticello. Our county (Piatt) was named after his father.

I don't blame you for being excited! Thank you for sharing your cool acquisition here!

Epi-hunter
07-14-2012, 06:18 PM
That is an amazing piece of history. Congratulations on acquiring it! What a great hobby too :yes:

ScrapMetal
07-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Great find. I think links to our past are a valuable reminder as to where we came from, where we are and where we are going. To have an object that survived that many years is an honor to keep and protect to pass down to the next generation.

Celluforce
07-15-2012, 01:28 AM
I think that we are many here with other passion... :rolleyes:

In my case, it's numismatic... Stamps are to fragile for my big hands :clapping:

:congrats: Thank you for sharing your find.

Daniel <;)

milco
07-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Wow, that's a terrific historical item, Milco! Did you find it locally or online? (eBay?)
I also love historical letters and documents from central Illinois, and I buy all of them that I run across that pertain to Piatt County, IL.
My oldest is a stampless folded letter from 1850 addressed to William H. Piatt who donated the land that our county courthouse occupies on the town square in Monticello. Our county (Piatt) was named after his father.
I don't blame you for being excited! Thank you for sharing your cool acquisition here!

Thanks Tony, glad to hear of our similar interests! Sounds like you have some cool items of your own! I have many sources for this type of material, this particular item came from an online auction.

Fire Fighter 43
07-15-2012, 03:12 PM
:wow: Very cool find Darren, congrats.

aloldstuff
07-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Very nice second hobby. So you go from digging in the dirt to handling fragil papers :groovy:. It's nice that you are sticking to your state and thanks for saving our history.

tanacat
07-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for sharing this :yes: The individual nature of it, the hand-written free makes me sentimental. To think of days when everything wasn't mechanically achieved.

jkress
07-30-2012, 11:24 PM
Very nice Darren. :clapping: It is a beautiful addition to your collection. :smitten:
Things aren't done quite the same anymore... are they? crying01