PDA

View Full Version : What is it?

milco
07-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Any ideas on helping me with an id on this item? It is not mind but found by an acquaintence of a friend MDing. It is about 1 1/2 long I believe. Also I think it is iron, but was not told for sure.

del
07-15-2012, 01:44 PM
its a musical instrument known by a few names , twanger mouth harp but mostly known as a jaw harp . yours is missing the long slender iron piece that ran down the middle and had a small loop on the end . their not quite as common as harmonica parts but was a popular thing to play.

Dan

milco
07-15-2012, 01:51 PM
its a musical instrument known by a few names , twanger mouth harp but mostly known as a jaw harp . yours is missing the long slender iron piece that ran down the middle and had a small loop on the end . their not quite as common as harmonica parts but was a popular thing to play.

Dan

Thanks Dan! I thought of that, but didn't think it was because of the age of other finds in the field that were made along with this, circa 1830-1850's.

del
07-15-2012, 01:55 PM
those go back to colonial times Darren so yours could be pretty old , the older ones i have do have to short mouth part like yours is . so if you can date that area your doing id say that jawharp is probably on the earlier side of that.

Dan