PDA

View Full Version : The PRO-FIND 25 - Minelab's New Pin-Pointer

CyberSage
07-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Here is the official brochure...

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/99517/4907-0604-brochure-pro-find-25-usa.pdf

chief5709
07-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Interesting, wonder what the price tag will be?

Tony Two-Cent
07-16-2012, 11:38 AM
And here is an introductory video that Minelab posted on Facebook this morning.

(See? Facebook isn't just for reading about what your college roommate had for breakfast!)

http://www.minelab.com/usa/videos?id=101784

del
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
i don't like the 360 degree detecting capabilities , it can be more confusing to newbies to find a target in the hole (i've seen it happen with the students at the Pequot hunts ) i much more like only the tip or one directional detecting like the vibra-probe 580 i use . hey Jack do they go into detail why they went the VLF rout on this probe alot seem to be pulse induction now ??

Dan

CyberSage
07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
hey Jack do they go into detail why they went the VLF rout on this probe alot seem to be pulse induction now ??

Dan

I have not heard anything about why they went the VLF route. I have used a pistol probe (pulse induction) before, and did not care for it. It wanted to sound off even at 5-6 inches. Worthless at that range. I had to adjust it way down. A 3-4 inch range is about right for me. The 360 degree detecting is the same way on the pro pointer. I don't see it as a disadvantage. The Vibra Probe 580 looks like a great probe, if you don't mind taking out the battery when your not using it. lol

freemindstuck
07-16-2012, 07:06 PM
[size=1:crazy:t]Stylistically it looks a lot like the Garrett Pro-Pointer. I wonder if it is manufactured by the same company? I'm interested in the price as well.

CyberSage
07-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Rumor has it that it will sell for $169.00. I have even seen this price advertised at various dealers for that amount already.

Fire Fighter 43
07-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Just watched the video and it mentions that they used VLF because it is more sensitive. I like the fact that you can turn noise off and use it in vibrate only, I actually put tape over my Pro Pointer speaker to keep it quite. The sensitivity adjustment is also a nice feature, like Jack mentioned the 3-4 inch range is perfect but sometimes it is nice to get real precise.
I have one on order with our Sponsor NE detectors. My pro Pointer is on its last legs, it seems to be loosing sensitivity so its good timing for me.

earthmansurfer
07-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Here is what the Garrett Pro-Pointer does (approximately). Second number is with a coin on the shaft to get the extra depth:
penny***1.50***2-25
nickel***1.75***3
dime****1.25***2.5
quarter**1.50***3

Here is the Minelab pinpointer at max sensitivity:

dime****1.75
quarter**2.25

So, 50% more depth with no coin sliding trick. Note - you can also do the coin trick on the Minelab, so it is deeper than the Garrett in every respect (if that is important for you). I think 3 - 4 of depth is about perfect to check targets under the surface before you dig or when at the bottom of a deep plug to check where to go next!

Another nice tidbit - from ironhearted_gog
The Minelab is more measured in its audio responses..... if you move it towards the target, the beep speed gradually increases.... whereas the Garrett quickly increases to a scream over a lot shorter distance.

Albert

Fire Fighter 43
07-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Minelabs site states in goes on sale 07-30-12

del
07-17-2012, 02:12 PM
The 360 degree detecting is the same way on the pro pointer. I don't see it as a disadvantage.

not as much a disadvantage but can be confusing to the newbie until he or she figures out where the target actually is in the hole or how exactly the pinpointer works .

The Vibra Probe 580 looks like a great probe, if you don't mind taking out the battery when your not using it. lol

i don't get this part , Jack :confused:

my first battery (1 nine volt) lasted a good year and a half in the 580 :yes:

CyberSage
07-17-2012, 05:03 PM
i don't get this part , Jack :confused:

my first battery (1 nine volt) lasted a good year and a half in the 580 :yes:

There was talk concerning the probe turning itself on when not in use. This was awhile ago, and may not be an issue anymore. What kind of range do you get with it Del?

del
07-17-2012, 07:47 PM
There was talk concerning the probe turning itself on when not in use. This was awhile ago, and may not be an issue anymore. What kind of range do you get with it Del?

i've never had that happen with mine Jack and the first i heard about that , i get somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 inches on a large cent or quarter sized targets .

Dan

milco
07-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I like the vibrate only feature, I too put electrical tape over the speaker on my Garrett to reduce the noise.

CyberSage
07-17-2012, 10:34 PM
i've never had that happen with mine Jack and the first i heard about that , i get somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 1/4 inches on a large cent or quarter sized targets .

Dan

That's just about perfect. I might have to give one a try.

Fire Fighter 43
07-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Retail is $195 and one dealer is taking preorders for $169.

midas
07-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Here is the Minelab pinpointer at max sensitivity:

dime****1.75
quarter**2.25

Albert

I guess I won't be buying one. A dime at 1.75 lol
I thought a company like Minelab would have done better at designing a pinpointer.

The purpose of a pinpointer probe is to determine if the target is still in the hole or in the mound of dirt you just dug out. At 1.75 on a dime, it's anyones guess.

A decent pinpointer at max sensitivity should give at least 3 inches or more on a dime. 5 inches or more on a quarter.
Minelab and the other pinpointer manufacturers should take a lesson from Sunray and produce a tool, not a toy.

earthmansurfer
07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
I thought a company like Minelab would have done better at designing a pinpointer.

The purpose of a pinpointer probe is to determine if the target is still in the hole or in the mound of dirt you just dug out. At 1.75 on a dime, it's anyones guess.

A decent pinpointer at max sensitivity should give at least 3 inches or more on a dime. 5 inches or more on a quarter.
Minelab and the other pinpointer manufacturers should take a lesson from Sunray and produce a tool, not a toy.

Some metal detectors won't go 5! rofl (I think we are bound by VLF technology.)
The Detector Pro is a PI pinpointer and will get a dime at 4 and quarter at 5 but it is an awfully large device and looks too much like a gun for me to carry. I don't believe it gives you a clear difference in response regarding a 1 deep target vs 4 deep.

The Garrett Pro Pointer is a GREAT unit, really. (I am mostly happy with it but...) If I can get 50% more depth for 20 bucks or so more (here In Europe) then that is great. And, if you want, you can still supercharge it like the Garrett but I won't be doing that. I think you might get close to your 5 then!

To me, a pinpointer is an aid. You have your metal detector to tell you about how deep the target is. That coupled with a reasonably deep pinpointer, should be enough to find any target.

I should say, in the ground the Pro-Find will detect deeper (said a tester).

Albert

brother steve
07-30-2012, 02:25 PM
I nkow I want one. Anything Minelab makes is good

MartinL
07-31-2012, 07:28 PM
I concur on those depth desires. If either the GPP or the PFind can be supertuned by a process of a gimmic, then a design engineer should have been able to make a model with the 3 capability by default. Had Minelab done that, and then gave the sensitivity control for detuning it if desired...they'd get my money, even though I own 2 Garretts. There simply was not much added at all to the PFP to steer me away from the GPP, so my wallet stays happy today. Add to the lack of extra frills, you also have the price hike, and nobody knows how Minelab will be on warranty work compared to Garretts. I have the definite advantage of not needing a PP for some time since I own 2 Garretts pointers, each healthy.

I would have waited for the hoopla to settle anyway, even if there had been a 3 range on the ML pointer. There wasn't respectable range increase though. It will be fun following the new ML on these detecting sites. Best of luck to all who jumps on one. martin

earthmansurfer
08-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Here is part II, a field test of the Minelab Pro-Find (I see no ads in it mods) in where it fails pretty bad with in ground tests, compared to the Garrett.

Has anyone that has it also found this to be true?

Minelab Pro Find 25 Field Test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCGAhi_2HcI&feature=g-u-u#ws)

CyberSage
08-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Thank you EMS! Appreciate the good information on this probe.

Jack

earthmansurfer
08-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Your welcome Jack, and others.

I was really hoping for the Minelab to be like the Garrett in boost mode. Anyway, if you haven't heard, there is a guy who makes a little add on for the Pro-Pointer for 10 bucks shipped called the sidekick. I will order one (no affiliation). You just push it and the Garret goes into boost mode. I heard great things from a very reputable poster on another forum. Here is a video of the prototype to give you an idea: The Sidekick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uut5O-eWWak&feature=youtu.be#ws)

Fire Fighter 43
08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Returned the ProFind already, it did not Impress me. I ordered one to replace my aging ProPointer.With air testing it did not preform any better than my 2 year old Propointer so it went back. I'm exchanging it for a new ProPointer and getting refunded $40. The differance in price and lack of better preformance was not enough to justify the change. I was really hoping it would be as good or better than the Garrett, Minelab dropped the ball on this one.