PDA

View Full Version : greasing O-rings

carl2112
07-16-2012, 01:00 PM
i wanted to grease the O-ring for the battery cover on my AT-pro does anyone know what kind of grease i should use that would be safe for my machine and not wreck the O-ring

del
07-17-2012, 07:59 AM
it doesn't specify in the owner's manual Carl ?? i would think a very light coating of vaseline petrolium jelly could work fine .

Dan

Relic Whisperer
07-18-2012, 07:33 AM
I believe that I have read somewhere on a forum to NOT use petroleum or vaseline style jely on o - rings. Something about the petroleum breaking down the O-ring. You might do some googling to double check. I would think you would use the same as my Sand Shark which is a SILCONE grease that I think most hardware stores have.

del
07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
your probably right Stan , i've never owned a water machine :embarrassed:

carl2112
07-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Yeah I like the silicone grease idea way better then vasoline I think that might cause the O-rings to swell up. I'll run to the hardware store some time soon. My machines pretty new so its not bad yet but last time I replaced the battries I noticed that the O-ring looked a lot drier then it did when I first got it with this hot weather and lack of rain my primary hunting grounds is in the water

Celluforce
07-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Absolutely no Vaseline or any petroleum gelly if you want to keep your &quot:daydream: ring in good shape.

Daniel <;)

Celluforce
07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Hey Carl,

Have you tried your AT-Pro underwater?

Daniel <;)

carl2112
07-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Yes I have that's why I want to make sure my o-rings stay in good condition. I haven't gone too deep with it because its hard to dig once the water gets past your waist and I like to see my display screen although this weekend I'm heading back up to the lake that's been very good to me so far this year and. Might venture out into the chest deep waters

Celluforce
07-21-2012, 02:59 AM
I'm learning a lot about detectors... And with the type of hunting I plan to do, At Pro seems to be the best machine for me...

I have a budget to respect and BH Discovery 2200 is a machine that fits my wallet... :) It's already my second detector, because I had a 1100 for Father's day and did bring it back to the store and exchanged it for a 2200 that was on sale at that moment. I found out that this upgrade already increase the power & depth because I did run it around the house and found some more target that my Discovery 1100 missed.

I read a lot of comment about Garrett At Pro and it seem that this machine is a good ATD (All terrain detector) lol If I finaly aquire one, I want also go underwater with it. I'm not a diver, but I do a lot of snorkeling... I would like to bring one and try it. Lakes around here are a bit muddy and it difficult to detect what is on the bottom. A MD would help to localise interesting goodies lying on the bottom... ;)

...But swining and digging like I did this week, I will be able to afford my At Pro.

Thanks again,

Daniel <;)