PDA

View Full Version : 2 Coppers and ANOTHER MARINE BUTTON!

sniffy
03-21-2010, 04:28 PM
What a beautiful day today was. My only day off, I decided to spend a couple hrs at a site that has been producing well. I slowed the DFX down to granny gear and decided to really focus. IT paid off very well. In between the iron grunts I found another marine button (Not but 3 ft away from the other one I recently found). I figured with just this button alone, my hunt has been a success....but 30 minutes later cruising along at a whoppin 00000.9 mph I got a nice chirp in between the nails and iron....I scanned from every direction and got iron, but a consistent chirp at penny/dime. Not a good signal, but what the heck....I dig down, use my pinpointer...square nail...ahhh...I stand back up...rescan the hole....SOLID penny/dime to quarter signal......I run my pinpointer back in the hole and there it was, this beautiful 1827 Large Cent at 6 inches deep. I'm very happy. So I start up again...cruising along...got the nice designed button...happier......So, then I decided to focus some attention in between the cellar hole and the barn foundation, the barn hole is pretty far away from the homesites so I picked a line and started swingin....I get all the way to the barn...which way to go? left or right...I went right and about 40 ft away from the barn site I got a beautiful Penny/Dime signal 5.5 inches.....I carefully dig my plug (assuming everything is a coin) and sure enough, the pinpointer buzzes and out pops this colonial copper! I was very excited now, I've never dug 2 coppers in one hunt! What a great feeling!.....pretty sure my wife is gonna be upset with me I decided to take on more pass back towards the cellar holes and call it day....half way to the cellar hole...I get a nice screwcap reading and out pops this neat flat button....It has a London backmark and on the back it says no.13.....It once had something on the front....I'd like to think that this was a military button...but I don't know.....anyhow...Could someone please help me ID the colonial copper? I'm not certain of what it is. Thanks for lookin!

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-21-2010, 04:31 PM
oh in case i didn't tell you.i hate you! :bop: nah j/k dude
CONGRATS! hopefully dan or the other hippie can identify that colonial coin!
nice job.bet this site is a virgin hole! :angelic:

John M
03-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Not a bad day at all Jesse. Two Coppers and a nice military button,I'd take that any day.

coinnut
03-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Nice hunt man. Didn't you know that DFX can't find coppers rofl The 1827 is in great shape. For some reason that year holds up well most of the time. The other one is probably going to be a King George. It looks like I can see the letter S to the left of the bust near top. It should read Georgivs on the left and either I, or II, or III on the right followed by REX. Back side is a woman seated holding a staff, sitting on a globe (I think), holding a shield. Left side should say BRITAN, right side NIA. If you can see any of those on either side, it's a British copper. Nice hunt and a nice day....congrats.

angellionel
03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Those are some excellent finds, Jesse. That copper held up very well...it has great detail on it. Sweet finds for sure.

randy
03-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Wow, that is a nice large cent. Probably not a George II on the other one, as the head faces the other way.

coinnut
03-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Probably not a George II on the other one, as the head faces the other way.

Yea, that's true, I think they alternated :confused: Hopefully it's a III. Better chance of state coins being lost there too. If it's a George I, that makes it real old, and not many copper options back then. Also, there is a chance of it being a counterfeit (Machin Mills) George III too.

sniffy
03-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Nice hunt man. Didn't you know that DFX can't find coppers rofl The 1827 is in great shape. For some reason that year holds up well most of the time. The other one is probably going to be a King George. It looks like I can see the letter S to the left of the bust near top. It should read Georgivs on the left and either I, or II, or III on the right followed by REX. Back side is a woman seated holding a staff, sitting on a globe (I think), holding a shield. Left side should say BRITAN, right side NIA. If you can see any of those on either side, it's a British copper. Nice hunt and a nice day....congrats.
HAHA....one things for sure...the DFX LOVES the scent of a copper.

sniffy
03-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Those are some excellent finds, Jesse. That copper held up very well...it has great detail on it. Sweet finds for sure.
Thanks Angel the 1827 is better in person.....I fouled up though, I threw it in the pouch with my buttons and it looks like the buttons beat it up a bit...scratches.

del
03-21-2010, 07:40 PM
wow thats a better looking Marine button than the last thumbsup01 , and you did great on getting the coppers Jesse . the one looks
like a George the III and the large cent is nice , congrats to ya .

sniffy
03-21-2010, 08:08 PM
wow thats a better looking Marine button than the last thumbsup01 , and you did great on getting the coppers Jesse . the one looks
like a George the III and the large cent is nice , congrats to ya .
Thanks Dan...I'm really starting to love the DFX....it just took a little warmin up. This machine goes bonkers for coppers and buttons. King George 111? Whats the time frame for this coin late 1700's?

del
03-22-2010, 02:35 AM
that style , upper 1760's to early 1790's but like Coinnut said there was alot of counterfieting going on so don't
rule that out too. thats good that your giving that dfx a fair shake it's a pretty remarkable machine when you really
understand its language.

sniffy
03-22-2010, 06:07 AM
that style , upper 1760's to early 1790's but like Coinnut said there was alot of counterfieting going on so don't
rule that out too. thats good that your giving that dfx a fair shake it's a pretty remarkable machine when you really
understand its language.
Yeah, I'm confident it's a KG111, 1770-1775

coinnut
03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I'm confident it's a KG111, 1770-1775

Some say that 3/4 of the coppers of King George III were counterfiets around here. :yes: Now I don't think it was that high, but it was a common practice (profitable too) to counterfiet them coppers. After all, was George gonna sail over here and get you? rofl If you can get a date that would help in telling if it were real or not.

sniffy
03-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Some say that 3/4 of the coppers of King George III were counterfiets around here. :yes: Now I don't think it was that high, but it was a common practice (profitable too) to counterfiet them coppers. After all, was George gonna sail over here and get you? rofl If you can get a date that would help in telling if it were real or not.
iT MAY be weird, but I actually hope that it is a counterfeit. Thats #7 on my top 10 want list for this year. Any counterfeit.