PDA

View Full Version : Question

OxShoeDrew
07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
I've been detecting some very historic hay fields of late. I hit four or five different fields in different areas of my county. These fields are not plowed. I asked an owner why he doesn't plow the fields and he said, too many rocks...I got sick of pickin 'em up. As I mentioned, these sites are very historic and should contain oodles of targets. There shouldn't be much EMI is these isolated fields.
BUT.... I'm am having a tough time quieting the machine and the sparse targets are much deeper than their age should allow. I'm guessing the yearly fertilizers are burying the targets deeper and adding to the mineralization....none of which would be helpful. Am I correct....and does anyone have tips on combating these issues?
Thank you, Drew

CODY
07-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Sounds good to me. I can only comment on the F75. In which case I would just keep turning the Sen. down till the machine got quiter. You can do this with the F75 and not lose a lot of depth. Don't give up! Keep looking. Sounds like you got some good fields there. Good luck

del
07-20-2012, 11:36 AM
hey Drew ,

shallow rocky fields usually ( in our area anyways) have a lot more mineralization to deal with and because the large to goodsized stones are shallow they are affected by the frost heaves we have with the ground freezing . i have seen basket ball sized rocks with just their tip tops exposed in the winter freeze only to fall a good 8 to 10 inches when the ground starts to thaw. thats a lot of soil moving and your targets as well. as for your emi issues i can only speculate on maybe cell towers in the area or highway traffic , ham radio operators , couldn't really tell you for sure but the hotter you run your machine and set the sensitivity up the more it will react with stuff i mentioned.

Dan

OxShoeDrew
07-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Yeah Cody....I was actually using an F75 (merc lets me borrow it while my t2 is in the shop)....I went back today and found MUCH less noise....must have been the coming storms. I hit one of the fields for an hour and a half and came away with a musket ball....and it was deep. :-\ No other targets to speak of. No iron, nothing.

Dan, so, the lack of targets in these 300 year old hay fields could be attributed to the frost :frozen:? ....and I guess there is nothing to try, but move on. :goodnight: Thats me moving on...I look tired. :)

Spiderwort
07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
If the area had been farmed in the past the act turning the soil with a moldboard plow could partial explain why target are deeper than expected. Good hunting.