PDA

View Full Version : Detecting Canadian coins with a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200

Celluforce
07-21-2012, 04:56 AM
<}

Detecting with a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 can be tricky…

Canadian coins, nickels, dimes & quarters are made now, since 2002, of 94% of steel… The new 1$ and 2$ coins are now (2012) also made of steel. For the cents, since 2006, some maple leafs coins are in steel plated with copper and other are in zinc plated copper. Putting your BH in “coin mode” for a hunt will let treasures for the next swinger that will go in all metal mode! :thinkingabout:

Take a look at those pictures… I put some target on the drive way at home… A 2$, a 1$ and a recent quarter… I have to say that the driveway is made of 0” to ¾” rocks that contain a lot of “copper” and “pyrite iron”.

All of them were lying on the surface…

The quarter was detected as iron at 4 inches…
The dollar was detected as copper “1 cent/ 10 cents” at 3 inches…
The two dollars was oscillating between iron and copper (1/10) at 4 to 5 inches…

All of them were right on the top…

Hope this could help...

Daniel <;)

Aslan
06-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Thanks for posting this. I was wondering how the 2200 would react to Canadian coins. I guess researching the area you detect is even more important with the 2200. I would discriminate the heck out of the machine if I was looking for old coins in an abandoned house yard or all metal at the beach.