PDA

View Full Version : Bullets, Grinder, Merc

z118
07-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Well, another few weeks since my last hunt. As a personal update, we closed on our old house and got the check today, so we are officially moved! All that's left to do is get settled in the new house... So far, getting settled seems to mostly involve me and the Mrs. accusing each other of having too much junk and wondering were it's all going to go. Still, we'll get there eventually. It feels good to be moved. I almost forget what it's like to not have to worry about packing or finances or some deadline somewhere related to moving.

So tonight I got out for a little hunt. We are in a full blown drought here so turf digging is out. I headed off to the wooded spot that has been kind to me this season. As usual I had no expectations and really was just looking forward to a little quiet time to reflect. But like the last few hunts, I did quite well (for me anyway). Long story short I would up with a collection of bullets, a large broken piece of a crotal bell, a 1967 quarter, a nice 1917 Merc, and a huge old meat grinder. You tell me how a meat grinder winds up in the woods. I also eyeballed a nice Father John's Medicine bottle which is ironic because I dug up dozens of these when I was a kid and the boxes of them and hundreds of other old bottles comprise the bulk of what my wife now considers my junk cluttering up her new house. She'll be pleased to see another for the collection, no doubt!

The crotal bell fragment is oddly shiny; almost like stainless steel but I'm sure it's not. Any thoughts on that would be great.

I noticed a few deer as soon as I arrived and rather than run away they kept creeping closer to me. One came within about 15 feet and I started getting nervous, visualizing in my head those videos you see of some deer on it's hind legs kicking some sap hunter's butt. I figured that would be just my luck to get beat up by a deer. But the animal just watched closely for a while and then figured I wasn't worth it I guess and ran off to find something more interesting or maybe more challenging.

Anyway, it was great to get back out, and even better to score a merc.

Happy hunting!

bob_e99
07-26-2012, 05:56 AM
:congrats:
That spot is simply amazing and a good place to hunt in these dry conditions. Congrats on a really nice hunt.

Continued good hunting.

buck57
07-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Hey congrats on getting out again. :grin: Nice to head for some shade during this time of year, and makes for a bit easier digging. We are getting our first meassurable rain right now. :omg: The first in over two months for mid Mo.
Very nice merc there z118 :congrats: And hunting them woods is a 2-fer if you like (deer) hunting as well. :clapping: Bow season starts mid Sept here, and we'll be looking UP as much as Down, while detecting these next two months. thumbsup01 Good hunting to ya, Eric

aloldstuff
07-26-2012, 06:58 AM
:congrats: on a nice early merc. Maybe the deer was watching to see if you you were gonna be making any saugages from deer meat, then he might have decided to woop your butt. lol Glad to hear that the moving ordeal is mostly over. Hold your ground on your collections.

starman2
07-26-2012, 12:31 PM
:congrats:! On some cool finds! And a big |:cheering: on the Merc score! Glad to hear. You can finally relax, and get in a little hunting. You should have brought your piece. You could have been eatin venision lol! HH! :groovy:

CODY
07-26-2012, 07:12 PM
Nice finds, Sweet Merc, congrats!