PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents worth: ears open, do research, follow hunches

BKM
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
If you don't want the long-winded story, just drop down to the pic ;)

About a year ago my grandfather (now 91 years old) was telling me a family story about how after the Stock Market crash in 1929, my great-grandfather and all the other workers showed up at the mill the next day to find the doors chained shut, the mill never opened again. My grandfather and the neighborhood boys used to crawl in through the windows to play in the mill in the 1930s. The mill burned down sometime prior to me being able to remember the area (mid 70s) so I've never seen the mill. This go me to thinking...

I found a reproduction 1870 map of the town, now framed in my living room, that shows the mill where my great-grandfather and his brothers worked. As I looked at the mill and the neighborhood I had a hunch that the workers might have walked along the river coming and going from the mill or perhaps sat along the banks on a hot summer day during their lunch break, if they actually were allowed to leave the building.

So fast forward to last Friday and I decided to get over there and check it out. There were very few signals along the banks, only a few modern coins and little junk. The area is pretty out of the way so not many people have been there which is good I guess. Eventually, I got a solid, shallow zinc signal. Normally I ignore these I have to admit but being where I was, I decided to dig every signal. My decision was rewarded when I pulled a coin that I thought at first was my first shield nickle. I turned it over and looked for the 5 but it sure looked like a 2. I was able to see the 1871 date and was pretty sure the the shield nickles are not that old. I called my wife at work to have her go online and search for 1871 two cent which she found and I was quite sure by then I could see the 2 under the muck.

There were very few other targets and the area is overgrown right now. I'll wait until the cooler weather comes and kills off the undergrowth.

I took the coin home and dropped it in olive oil. Every morning I take it out and go over it with a tooth brush and drop it back in the oil. More detail comes through every day as more dirt disappears. This is what it looks like now.

In my unprofessional opinion, I think it's at least in VF15 condition, any opinions?

So the moral of the story is, keep your ears open, do your research, and follow your hunches![attachimg=1]

del
07-26-2012, 05:11 PM
great story and very sweet coin , don't see many 71's showing up . those bronze coins are either in very nice shape or just plain crap , seems like no in between. i usually just take a toothpick and scrape off the crust of dirt and grime . i was fortunate to find a mint state 1866 2 center a few years ago , they are a pretty designed coin and the first with the motto In God We Trust. congrats on yours .

Dan

milco
07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Great find, great story! Congrats on the 2 center! It's a nice one!

Cheap Thrills
07-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the forum.Great pictures of a great coin .It's cool and a bit eerie that the last person who touched that coin may have been one of your family .
This was a very enjoyable post .I'm thinking you'll find more there on future hunts , Good luck .

tanacat
07-28-2012, 09:26 PM
:clapping: I thoroughly enjoyed your long-winded story :yes: Big time congrats on finding it and good luck when the cold weather beats down the tall grasses. I think the research aspect is one of the best parts of metal detecting. Btw, I've only found one 2 center(1864 and very grungy) I also found near an old mill/distillery by looking at an old 1877 county map.

I bet your grandfather thought that was sure neat! Maybe it did belong to your great-grandfather :shocked04:stretcher:

Celluforce
07-28-2012, 11:54 PM
What a nice story! :->

I like your coin! thumbsup01 I'm not an expert for U.S. coins, but I must say that VF15 should stand for your 2 cents :thinkingabout:

Again, nice story and keep hunting!

Daniel <;)

jus_beachy
07-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Terrific history and a great outcome!!

Gotta be more there. Look forward to more finds from there.

Merc
07-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Great job Brian, that 2 center is in really nice shape. :perfect10:

::usaflag::

JH
07-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Very nice indeed! :congrats:

SafariScott
07-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Nice job Brian......I hope the spot produces more for you in the fall. I think it's got some potential. I think your coin would grade just as authentic even though it has great detail any copper in the ground that long is bound to get slabbed as enviornmental damage. The only things that can grade from the ground are the silvers unfortunately.

BKM
07-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Nice job Brian......I hope the spot produces more for you in the fall. I think it's got some potential. I think your coin would grade just as authentic even though it has great detail any copper in the ground that long is bound to get slabbed as enviornmental damage. The only things that can grade from the ground are the silvers unfortunately.

We'll just have to pull some silver out of there then thumbsup01

OxShoeDrew
08-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Nice post Brian, it was also nice to meet you the other day. We'll do it again soon, Drew

Shipwreck
08-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Good One WtG :peace: