PDA

View Full Version : anyone detect in the rain

del
07-26-2012, 07:15 PM
and i don't mean the light drizzle kinda rain :eyebrow: , i'm talking the fullblown hard down pour with scarey lightning and thunder kind :crazy: i've been dumb enough to say its just gonna rain a bit and then let up only to walk a few miles out into the woods and then you hear it comming your way. at first its not to bad , so you continue because the finds are there and you've already gotten a few good things . then it starts comming down hard and in a few minutes you and everything is soaked , then you hear the thunder getting closer and your already too far out to make it back to the vehicle in time . i remember George (Coinnut) , Chris (Cab) and myself all huddled under a huge pine tree while the lightning and thunder is getting scarey close , it was just dumb and very funny now lol lol but wasn't at that moment 8/ . i still haven't learned i'm just more equipped is all rofl lol i carry a rain poncho , both machines have water proof covers and my wife still thinks i'm nuts :crazy: :twirlingeyes: for doing it .i'll probably be out this saturday in the rain ( no Pequot indian museum hunt again because of rain) , anyone interested let me know .

anyone else want to confess on doing stupid things when detecting ?? Dave , Drew , Brandon :huh: you all must have some dumb moments during great detecting stories.

Dan

Tony Two-Cent
07-26-2012, 07:33 PM
We've forgotten what rain looks like here in the midwest. :-\

I have continued to hunt through a light rain but never in a downpour or a lightning storm. I probably would though if I was at a great site where I was making incredible finds.

del
07-26-2012, 07:46 PM
We've forgotten what rain looks like here in the midwest. :-\

hey Tony i hope you and the rest of the central part of the country get some much needed rain soon

milco
07-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Lightning is my deal breaker. I have started out hunting in a light drizzle which then turns to rain, and if it happens gradually it doesn't seem so bad, when you're done and soaked you ask yourself, why did I do that? Never gone out in full blown rain though. Rain has been scarce here, but we have gotten two measureable rains in the past four days, so that is good, first rain in 6 weeks.

CODY
07-27-2012, 03:48 AM
I tried once with the F75 in a light to med rain. Had the waterproof cover on it. It fogged up so bad I couldn't see it. I hunt by sound and sight. I decided then I would not do this again unless I had something like an AT Pro.

KYBuzzBox
07-27-2012, 03:35 PM
I will hunt in a light rain as long as there is no lightning. When my V3i picks up a lighting buzz I leave.

RobW
07-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Only you and George!!!! You detect in the snow! and in Blizzards, and in the hail, and hurricanes, earthquakes, Tzunamis, vocanic eruptions, and anything else mother nature can throw at you!! rofl

lee
07-30-2012, 09:53 AM
not detecting but fishing.
i was on the ct river fishing for carp and the heavens opened so i turn to my mate ethen and say bloody hell i hope i dont get a bite right now.
huddled under my brolly off goes my alarm and the fish starts stripping line , so there i am waving a 12ft carbon fiber rod in the air and lightning is lituraly hitting the ground 20ft away from me !!!!! nutcase or what ?.
unbeknown to me ethen was vidioing it .
its on you tube under lightning lee somwhere but im haveing difficulty finding it

tanacat
07-30-2012, 10:11 PM
That's a funny story Dan lol Yes I do detect in the rain :yes: If I have freetime from my kids I am determined to hunt, rain or shine!

I admit I'm a little embarrassed, so I go to sites where noone can see me :cheesysmile: I use a big umbrella & it's quite fun!

freemindstuck
07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
That's a funny story Dan lol Yes I do detect in the rain :yes: If I have freetime from my kids I am determined to hunt, rain or shine!

I admit I'm a little embarrassed, so I go to sites where noone can see me :cheesysmile: I use a big umbrella & it's quite fun!

Thanks tanacat, I got this funny image in my head when reading your post.. Mary Poppins with a metal detector. lol

Merc
08-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Lol Dan I'v hunted in down pours many times, as long as its in the summer im good with it. When I lived in Mass. I couldn't wait for it to rain so i could have the beaches all to myself. Wrapped the dfx in a garbage bag and off i went. I had some decent rain gear so to me it was fun,I made an adventure out of it. If there was lightning I didn't hunt. If I lived closer to the beaches I'd still be waiting on that rain so I could do it again. What a great time I had doing it. I'm definitely up for a rain hunt. Let me know. PM Drew he may be interested as well. The F75 is a sissy in the rain I'll be using the DFX rofl

tanacat
08-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks tanacat, I got this funny image in my head when reading your post.. Mary Poppins with a metal detector. lol

rofl I think I do look funny especially with the big 'ol rainbow umbrella lol

I've got a system... I take only umbrella, detector and orange :usaflag:s out of my car, mark a bunch of targets, take detector back to (dry, cozy) car. Then take umbrella, pinpointer and digger to get my targets. That way my detector isn't laying in the rain for any amt of time --even though I use ziplock bags...

I sure wish it would rain :yes: all this talk is making me want to hunt in the rain lol

OxShoeDrew
08-02-2012, 05:01 AM
I'm don't detect in the rain for a number of reasons. Like Merc said, the f75/T2 is a skinny shinned whimp....like it's owner...me, not Merc. Although he might have skinny shins too...I haven't noticed. Second - its hard to see the screen even without the hoodie on. Third - my glasses get all steamed up. Just picture Urkel trying to read the screen.
Having said all this, I could be arm twisted lol

tanacat
08-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Like Merc said, the f75/T2 is a skinny shinned wimp....like its owner...me, not Merc. Although he might have skinny shins too...I haven't noticed.

rofl you're funny lol

Second - its hard to see the screen even without the hoodie on. I wonder if sandwich sized ziplock would fit over your screen? It's perfect fit for V3i... Or just use an umbrella :)

Merc
08-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm don't detect in the rain for a number of reasons. Like Merc said, the f75/T2 is a skinny shinned whimp....like it's owner...me, not Merc. Although he might have skinny shins too...I haven't noticed. Second - its hard to see the screen even without the hoodie on. Third - my glasses get all steamed up. Just picture Urkel trying to read the screen.
Having said all this, I could be arm twisted lol
Skinny Shins lol Oh it's on now. :boxing:

OxShoeDrew
08-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Yeah Tanacat, Merc lent me a sandwich bag a few weeks ago but the crumbs got on my screen and stills smells of meatballs lol. just kidding Merc....it was a new bag....hey dan , I think you might not have to worry about rain tomorrow |:cheering:

Fartacus
08-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Rain, sick of the stuff, it's been the wettest period since the records began.
If it's as heavy as it's been no I don't because of the soil sticking to everything.

tanacat
08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
no I don't because of the soil sticking to everything.

I know what you mean :) if I'm desperate to hunt in the rain I also take a bunch of dry washcloths to wipe hands, digger and pinpointer lol

lee
08-09-2012, 09:19 PM
weeeeeee.... found it.
i come in at about 2.15.....i know its not detecting in the rain but bloody hell its funny... rofl
summer storm carp fishing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxJ5Zhankc&feature=BFa&list=UUUrrRf1eOLV2 GRLWi5KP4vg#)

CousinEddie
08-09-2012, 09:30 PM
I would love to hunt in the rain, so I purchased an AT Pro the other day. I also have the Delaware River close by that has a bunch of creeks breaking off.