PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from South Texas

cactusrat
07-27-2012, 02:07 AM
I’ve been metal detecting a little over a month now with the Ace 250.

So far I have found 58 cents. Living out in the stick with no close by parks and having 100º plus temperatures every day has kept me metal detecting in the yard only. And what a clean yard it is.

Nobody has ever lived on this land. Mostly I find old fence wire and pellets I have shot over the years.

When it starts cooling off, I’ll start hunting a couple of farm fields and a 1950s home site about a half hour away and maybe a park or two that are further away. The beach is about 200 miles round trip, so that will be hit very seldom.

freemindstuck
07-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you live out in the desert in the middle of nowhere. If I were you I'd look for meteorites. They can be worth more then coins and in areas with little annual precipitation they last a long time before rusting away. Good luck with your adventures!

buck57
07-27-2012, 05:25 AM
Hey there cactusrat, and welcome from mid Mo. :waving: Sounds like some limited hunting in your neck of the woods :( but keep researching old maps and ask some old timers, and there might be more in your area then you know :yes: Good hunting to ya, and good luck thumbsup01 Eric

cactusrat
07-27-2012, 05:43 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you live out in the desert in the middle of nowhere. If I were you I'd look for meteorites. They can be worth more then coins and in areas with little annual precipitation they last a long time before rusting away. Good luck with your adventures!

No desert here, just the normal hot and dry weather of South Texas.

I wish I could find a rock that beeps.

Thanks Freemindstuck for the welcome.

cactusrat
07-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Hey there cactusrat, and welcome from mid Mo. :waving: Sounds like some limited hunting in your neck of the woods :( but keep researching old maps and ask some old timers, and there might be more in your area then you know :yes: Good hunting to ya, and good luck thumbsup01 Eric

Thanks Buck57 for the welcome.

I work in the cotton fields in two counties looking for Boll Weevils and know of a couple of places that had an old home on them at one time. Just need to run down the farmers to ask for permission after the harvest. That and a little cooler weather.

aloldstuff
07-27-2012, 07:00 AM
Welcome from western MA. Sounds like very limited hunting but do ask the old timers in the area about any activities that might have gone one in your area. How far south in TX are you?

cactusrat
07-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Welcome from western MA. Sounds like very limited hunting but do ask the old timers in the area about any activities that might have gone one in your area. How far south in TX are you?

Thanks Lotsofstuff for the welcome.

I’m west of Lake Corpus Christi.

There will be places to hunt once I get out and start asking. Just waiting for the hest to come down. It 7 am and 85º and it looks like today will be a cool day. There is a cloudy overcast, shouldn’t much over 100º today.

del
07-27-2012, 08:05 AM
hello Cactusrat ,welcome to the forum . theres a lot of history in Texas .
the Spanish were in Texas in the 1500's and spanish towns sprouted up in the late 1600's, then the white settlers started showing up in the early 1800's you had the Mexican war and the war for Texas's independence in the 1830's and 40's . your in prime are to find early war relics just have to do your research. i wish you luck and hope to see some great finds posted from you soon .

Dan

cactusrat
07-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome Dan.

You are right, a lot of history in Texas. Lets not forget about the cowboy stuff. Just to bad my 10 acres didn’t have something happen on it.

I would love to dig up an old “peace maker”. ;)

One of the draw backs for detecting in Texas, is that almost all the land is privately owned. State parks are a big NO NO to detect on.

Down here getting someone to let you onto their land can be a hard thing. It always help to know somebody who knows somebody.

del
07-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome Dan.

You are right, a lot of history in Texas. Lets not forget about the cowboy stuff. Just to bad my 10 acres didn’t have something happen on it.

I would love to dig up an old “peace maker”. ;)

One of the draw backs for detecting in Texas, is that almost all the land is privately owned. State parks are a big NO NO to detect on.

Down here getting someone to let you onto their land can be a hard thing. It always help to know somebody who knows somebody.

i hear you Cactusrat , theres a lot of private property here and its not easy sometimes to get someone to OK your stay on their land . hey i hope you find that peacemaker and a few other goodies to go with it .

Dan

CODY
07-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Welcome from Mississippi, welcome to the forum.

Lowjiber
07-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Welcome from southern Nevada.

That old home site is where you need to be...today. |:cheering:

Celluforce
07-29-2012, 12:29 AM
Welcome Cactusrat frow Eastern Township of Quebec!

Weather, weather, weather... :-\ Too hot, too dry, too wet, too cold... :thinkingabout: Here in Sherbrooke, Quebec, the hunting season will end mid-November to mid-April due to the frost... September to November, we will have to wear Orange coat for protection, not from the cold weather, but from hunters with guns ;)

Anyway! Welcome Howdy to the forum!

Daniel <;)

jkress
07-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Welcome from Iowa cactusrat. Glad you are here with us. :clapping:

I started this hobby with an Ace 250 and found many, many nice coins with it. It's a great machine.

The non stop heat and sun of this summer has kept me from getting out very often, we have had a few nice windows here and there that I have taken advantage of.

Looking forward to your posts when weather permits. :->

OxShoeDrew
07-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Glad to have you here. Do you kill the beetles when you find them?

cactusrat
07-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Glad to have you here. Do you kill the beetles when you find them?

Oxshoedrew Thanks for the welcome.

Well back in the old days (about two years ago) we would find live weevils in the traps we put out. We just dumped them into a baggy and turned them into the office. Then the Boll Weevil program would spray the fields.

Last year I only found two weevils. So far this year, I have found none. In 2007 I found over 20,000. The boll weevil day's in the US are just about done for.

cactusrat
07-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Welcome from Iowa cactusrat. Glad you are here with us. :clapping:

I started this hobby with an Ace 250 and found many, many nice coins with it. It's a great machine.

The non stop heat and sun of this summer has kept me from getting out very often, we have had a few nice windows here and there that I have taken advantage of.

Looking forward to your posts when weather permits. :->

Thanks Jkress.

I'm looking forward to some cooler weather. It was 109º today. I'll post my finds when I do some hunting.

cactusrat
07-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks Cody for the welcome.

cactusrat
07-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Welcome from southern Nevada.

That old home site is where you need to be...today. |:cheering:

Thanks Lowjiber.

I stopped by the old house today and seen that the farmer had mowed a little of the weeds down. I hope it don’t rain and make the weeds grow before I get a chance to hunt it.

I can’t believe I just said that. :shocked03: We need any and all the rain we can get down here.

cactusrat
07-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Welcome Cactusrat frow Eastern Township of Quebec!

Weather, weather, weather... :-\ Too hot, too dry, too wet, too cold... :thinkingabout: Here in Sherbrooke, Quebec, the hunting season will end mid-November to mid-April due to the frost... September to November, we will have to wear Orange coat for protection, not from the cold weather, but from hunters with guns ;)

Anyway! Welcome Howdy to the forum!

Daniel <;)

Thanks for the howdy-do Celluforce.

I wouldn’t count on a orange vest/coat. :thinkingabout:

Every year some hunter will shoot somebody down here. My company tells us not to even go into a field if there are hunters anywhere around.

Fire Fighter 43
08-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Welcome to the forum and the Hobby from SE Wisconsin.