PDA

View Full Version : Need some important advice on scarce date Injun

Thiltzy
07-27-2012, 06:13 PM
I recently dug up a scarce date 1870 dated Indian and a Large Cent 1837. Im not worried about the LC but the IH is important to me.
After soaking and tooth picking both in distilled water only, I am now down to almost all patina on the IH.

I am thinking of a short hot peroxide bath for the Injun to remove the patina but I am still undecided. So any experienced advice would be greatly appreciated.
As far as the LC, it is still caked with dirt and seems to have quite a bit of corrosion so all value was already lost before any cleaning but I am just searching for anything that would produce some decent results on the LC.
Thanks in advance,
[attach=1][attach=2]
[attach=3][attach=4][attach=5][attach=6]

del
07-27-2012, 06:24 PM
your indian looks awesome , you can still get the dark scaley verdigris off the reverse but as far as the bright mottled turquoise patina you won't get that off with out harming the metal . the large cent looks very rough and i'm afraid if you hot peroxide it you will really see just how damaged it is . when they are pretty bad i will still either peroxide them and then take a brass brush and smooth them over or just take the brush to them .

Thiltzy
07-27-2012, 06:44 PM
your indian looks awesome , you can still get the dark scaley verdigris off the reverse but as far as the bright mottled turquoise patina you won't get that off with out harming the metal . the large cent looks very rough and i'm afraid if you hot peroxide it you will really see just how damaged it is . when they are pretty bad i will still either peroxide them and then take a brass brush and smooth them over or just take the brush to them .

Thanks for chiming in Dan. I know that there is high demand for this 1870 IH from collectors but I doubt anyone would buy a patina covered one. Do you feel that any further preserving techniques would be fruitless?

del
07-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for chiming in Dan. I know that there is high demand for this 1870 IH from collectors but I doubt anyone would buy a patina covered one. Do you feel that any further preserving techniques would be fruitless?

yeah , i believe any measures to remove the turquoise color out of the metal will ruin the coin further , only thing else to do is a chemical coloring but i don't recommend it . for example sometimes a very hot peroxide bath can darken the coin's color to a brown or ruddy color but again its not a pleasing color to collectors . i myself prefer the bright patina it has now .sorry i couldn't be more help Thiltzy.

Dan

milco
07-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Nice coins, and I like the patina just the way it is!

RobW
08-01-2012, 04:56 PM
then take a brass brush and smooth them over or just take the brush to them .

Brass Brush:huh:thinkingabout:!!!!! :shocked04:

Why don't you just use sandpaper like George did to mine rofl

del
08-01-2012, 10:49 PM

i could of sworn he took the bench grinder to your coin Rob lol rofl

Ill Digger
08-01-2012, 11:09 PM

<} I remember that! lol I use a brass brush on some of my more stubborn/ corroded coins too.
Just not on the silvers \:hammer: :white:usaflag::