PDA

View Full Version : Knee or Breech Buckle?

Thiltzy
07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I got up bright and early this morning wanting to get a couple hours hunting in before the rain arrives. I recently got permission to hunt some old farm fields that have been in use since the early 18th century. There gonna let me know when they plow the fields in the fall so I wasn't planning on hunting there untill the fall.I did manage to locate a few manageable spots to test out and was able to score a nice buckle that is almost entirely in tact.

I am not sure if it's a knee or breech buckle and as you can see, it has a double tonge and anchor style chape. I am thinking maybe 1740-1800 date on it but I was hoping I could get a more experienced opinion on the ID & date. The dimensions are 27x40mm

Thanks in advance,

buck57
07-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Can't help ya on the I.D.Thiltzy, but I like it. :congrats: Nice find, thumbsup01

del
07-28-2012, 12:10 PM
great buckle Thiltzy :clapping: :clapping: , yes either term is correct knee or Breech . :yes: i'd call it complete and all brass-alloy too :smitten:, its a nice ornate one and pretty good sized too .does the chape and tongue move freely as the pin might be brass as well ?? i would gues it to being from the 1760's to about 1790 , congrats again on a nice piece |:cheering:

Thiltzy
07-28-2012, 01:21 PM
great buckle Thiltzy :clapping: :clapping: , yes either term is correct knee or Breech . :yes: i'd call it complete and all brass-alloy too :smitten:, its a nice ornate one and pretty good sized too .does the chape and tongue move freely as the pin might be brass as well ?? i would gues it to being from the 1760's to about 1790 , congrats again on a nice piece |:cheering:

Thanks a mill for the reply Dan and confirming my attempt at dating it. The chape has a little give to it but I don't want to force it as it feels very stiff. When I first removed the buckle from the plug, the very tip of one the tongues broke off, thats the only reason I stated the it was almost a complete piece.
Any suggestions on cleaning methods?

del
07-28-2012, 01:34 PM
if it has any type of movement its probably a brass pin just gummed up . you did a pretty good job at removing alot of the dirt already , i usually just toothbrush mine with a little diluted CLR and water and rinse well after i'm happy . i follow it up with a light brass brushing just to give the high spots some contrast and then i buff it out with some renisance wax to keep it from oxidizing any further.

OxShoeDrew
07-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Looking forward to see what you get when they do plow it!

Thiltzy
07-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah me too Ox and thanks. :daydream:

del
07-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Drew did a first rate great job on cleaning his shoe buckle he found a while back , you ought to post the before and after Drew .

HEAVYMETALNUT
07-28-2012, 04:10 PM
what a GORGEOUS knee buckle! cherish that one cuz they don't come out too often |:cheering:

Merc
07-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Very nice knee buckle!! thumbsup01 Thats a nice old site you got there keep hitting it hard. Congrats on that buckle.

chief5709
07-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Awesome buckle! I'm still trying to find a complete one...

Thiltzy
07-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Awesome buckle! I'm still trying to find a complete one...

Thanks chief... it's actually my 1st complete knee buckle. All my first finds always come when I least expected it with the exception of one coin. I was hunting an old park when I found five silver coins and when I pulled out a 1920 Merc, I got another signal in the same hole, I called out loud c'mon barber and out came my first barber dime. ( got it on video ta boot) :cool: