PDA

View Full Version : Good Silver Day

Postman
03-23-2010, 08:27 AM
A friend of my girlfriends asked if I could go over to her old home,which is now vacant,to find a small 18k locket she lost about 40 years ago,in her back yard.Her Pa recently passed away,and the house is going on the market soon.I told her I'd give it a shot,the back yard being about 40 yards by 40 yards.My first 3 coins were wheat pennies,and I thought to myself,this is a good sign.The next hole I dug coughed up a double header,a nice 1944 Mercury dime,and a 1937 D Washington quarter(Key date),in good condition.Next hole produced a 1944 P silver WW2 Jefferson.I picked up a few newer pennies,but then my next find kind of floored me a little bit,a boot spur.It was kind of small but it was the only thing i could imagine it was,what a great find.Moving on i picked up an old costume jewelry ring,followed by a nice,almost in mint condition 61 Roosevelt dime.The sun was setting,and the mosquitos,were moving in.Time to pack it in.I spent about 3 hours or so in the yard,and no luck as far as the locket went.When I got home,the girl called her friend with the disappointing news,which she took in stride.She mentioned the boot spur though,and her friend told her that when her folks had bought the house 40-50 years ago,one of the bedrooms had been decorated with Cowboy & Indian wallpaper.The spur turned out obviously to be a small boys.I let my girls friend keep it as a momento,but told her if she didn,t want it,or was going to throw it out,I'd be happy to take it off her hands.

hoser
03-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Cool story postman and congrats on the silver. Too bad about not finding the locket though. Can't you go back for another hunt? Maybe then you will come across it and maybe more loot as well. :drool:

coinnut
03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I hope you can get back there to find it for her. Bring lots of bug spray and a mosquito net lol Nice finds for a short hunt!