PDA

View Full Version : Silver coin or a jewelry piece? You people decide it for me LOL

Hook
07-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I hit an old lot this morning, and real quick hit a wheat with almost my first swing. I know i'm in the right zone now. A few clad coins and assorted junk later, i hit a dime signal at 6 inches, and out pops a small shiny square from the loose dirt in the hole. I pick it up and wipe the front (the shiny side) and i'm shocked to see a face with wings on the head. a square merc? never heard of one
The backside is really rough and corroded, so either they braised or glued something to the backside,,,a junker ring perhaps? or maybe they made a cufflink, or earring? i dont know.

So i'll leave it up to you all to decide...add to my bling count? or my silver coin count?

Tony Two-Cent
07-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I always go by the rule What was its purpose at the time it was lost?

In this case it's purpose was not as a coin to be spent, so I would add it to my silver bling count.

But that's just me. thumbsup01

aloldstuff
07-30-2012, 04:41 AM
You can count this as whatever you wish. That is a very interesting find. Was the 1917 merc also found ?

Hook
07-30-2012, 06:57 AM
You can count this as whatever you wish. That is a very interesting find. Was the 1917 merc also found ?

yes it was a found coin, but not on the same hunt as the square merc. i was just lazy and didnt post that one. :embarrassed:

JTGOLD
07-30-2012, 10:15 AM
I have seen silver dimes like that,they were made to use on top of home made silver rings and where I seen them was at a flee market,nice find.

starman2
07-30-2012, 12:41 PM
|:cheering: Very cool find! Bling! Definately Bling. I have a large flat topped silver ring I found. That it would look great on. :congrats:!!

RaZR
07-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Dealers choice! I guess if it was me i would put it as partial coin find. If it still had the ring or whatever attached then bling. :happydance01: Great find though! :perfect10:

Hook
07-30-2012, 08:11 PM
thanks for all the replies everyone! its still up for grabs as to what it should be called, so i'll wait for a few more replies beforre calling it. lol

jkress
07-30-2012, 10:50 PM
My vote is jewelry. :yes: Definitely an interesting piece. :smitten: Haven't seen any like this posted.
Congrats.