PDA

View Full Version : Any Crotal Bell experts out there:huh:

Thiltzy
07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
:dontknow: Went back to some old sites that I have found some great keepers including a 1778 Machin's mills half penny, 1730 King George II and King George III no date. The larger crotal bell and the mystery iron piece were found here while the smaller crotal was found at an 18th century farm.
I tried to show pics of different angles because I do not know where to look to help identify these bells. It looks to me that the smaller bell has intials on the under side while the larger bell has three lines at the base of the suspension loop. On a side note...any idea on the iron piece would also be appreciated.
Thanks so much for any help,

del
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
this could be one of your bells makers:

James North, Jr.

J N or I N maker's mark on petal bells.

James (born 1777, died 1825) made bells in his New Britain foundry from 1800 to 1803 after he and Joseph Shipman completed a metal-casting apprenticeship in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. Both men worked together in 1800 casting sleigh bells, then went their separate ways. (18) James then operated the North foundry with his younger brother Seth (below) until James moved to New York state in 1803. (6, 18) Bells marked with I N are thought to be older than the J N bells. Bells have either a drilled shank or a U-shaped cast shank

Thiltzy
07-30-2012, 08:12 PM
this could be one of your bells makers:

James North, Jr.

J N or I N maker's mark on petal bells.

James (born 1777, died 1825) made bells in his New Britain foundry from 1800 to 1803 after he and Joseph Shipman completed a metal-casting apprenticeship in Stockbridge, Massachusetts. Both men worked together in 1800 casting sleigh bells, then went their separate ways. (18) James then operated the North foundry with his younger brother Seth (below) until James moved to New York state in 1803. (6, 18) Bells marked with I N are thought to be older than the J N bells. Bells have either a drilled shank or a U-shaped cast shank

Wow Dan, your just a wealth of knowledge! It definately looks like an I N to me on the smaller bell.

07-30-2012, 09:28 PM
here is a link that i hope will help http://classicbells.com/info/bellMakers.html