PDA

View Full Version : old silver ring

randy
03-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Had a couple hours this morning to get back to that site that coughed up the 1801 reale, and found another cool keeper -- an old silver ring. Got a clean high conductive target signal at 4.5 inches according to the V3, but had to go a good 8 inches to get the baby. Don't remember the V missing that badly on depth before, but anyway, I felt like Smeagol finding my precious, because who knows how old it is or who it belonged to. Next research project. I think it would be so cool if I could confirm it was a 200 year old piece of jewelery. Did they even wear jewelry back then? I certainly looks old.

Also found a couple of other relics -- the ball is VDI +53 and .55 caliber, consistent with a musket ball, except it doesn't look anything like 200 year old lead. Looks more brass to me, so not sure what it is, but it was deep, so it could be old. The other piece may be old, may be modern, not sure.

coinnut
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey Randy, Nice silver ring. I would be interested in finding out how old it is too. They are hard to date. They did wear jewelry and rings 200 years ago. That one to me looks about 80-100 years old. The style of lettering doesn't match what we have found from colonial days. Ours is mostly fancy or script lettering. Block lettering may not have been used 200 years ago. But there are always exceptions to any rule though. The other find seems to be a musket ball. They were made rough alot of times. Only way to really know is to give it a little scratch and see if it's lead. Otherwise if you clean off some dirt and it shows up white, then it's the oxidation of lead. I would think brass would have some green patina to it. Third item looks like a modern, smashed, copper jacketed bullet. Just my guesses though. :confused:

del
03-24-2010, 06:02 AM
very nice looking ring Randy are there any faint hallmarks on the inside band :huh:

randy
03-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Nope, no hallmarks. They say that that means it is possibly older than 1906.

del
03-24-2010, 06:23 AM
what exactly is the design on the outside , leaves or ivy motif :huh: looks older than 1906 to me

randy
03-24-2010, 06:48 AM
what exactly is the design on the outside , leaves or ivy motif :huh: looks older than 1906 to me

Its hard to describe. The best description might be like a short snakeskin pattern that points towards the lettering from each side. It doesn't wrap all the way around, it is just near the lettering.

hoser
03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Very cool ring. Congrats.

ProPointer
04-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Whoa! :twirlingeyes: Possibly pre-1906!? That awesome! thumbsup01