PDA

View Full Version : Soccer Fields

Diggerlou
08-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I am wanting to hunt some soccer fields but do not know much about hunting those. How do you hunt them? i.e. in the playing area? Sidelines? Both, I think. Sounds crazy, but I'm new at this...... Any suggestions??

Tony Two-Cent
08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
Welcome to American Detectorist, Diggerlou! Glad to have you here!

That's actually a very good question, and you will likely get many different responses. Hunting on sporting fields can be a touchy subject. I personally don't hunt on the playing area of any sports fields that are on a high school or college property, as it is often frowned upon by the coaching staff and school administration. I also don't hunt on any public playing field that is well manicured and often used. No matter how careful you are about digging, people are always concerned about unsightly and hazardous holes.

I have occasionally hunted in the outfield of a seldom-used baseball field in the late fall or winter. I've never encountered any objections to that, as any plugs will most likely be 100% healed by springtime.

A detectorist always has to be aware of public perceptions. If you are hunting on the playing area of a sports field then there is always going to be the possibility that someone will object, no matter how carefully you dig.

JTGOLD
08-02-2012, 07:53 AM
I think Tony said it all,but I might add, talk to the grounds keeper of the field you would like to hunt and see what he or she would say about hunting it.

tanacat
08-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah, Tony explained it great |:cheering: I'm not usually drawn to places where people play sports. I figure they have their valuables stashed away while they play lol Prob no pockets of change if they are playing 'professionally' with their pocketless shorts... but then there are probably lots of broken necklaces and rings... :thinkingabout:

I was recently told by a church rep that I could hunt the playground but not the soccer field because they might kick up the plugs before they have a chance to grow back. She has a point :yes:

I do like to hunt where the fans have rooted them on though. Like under old shady trees with good view to the playing field. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Diggerlou
08-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanx to all for the great info. I will hunt likewise........

Toadman
08-02-2012, 05:13 PM
If it has a daily sprinkler system.. I used to go when the kids..or whatever, were gone for the day..grid out the lines on the field, if it has any.. Goalie section is always prime hunting too..This is the worst time of year to do them also..

Diggerlou
08-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Good to know, THANX !!

buck57
08-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Welcome from mid Mo, Diggerlou. :waving: Here in the town I detect at, we are allowed to hunt all parks, but we must stay off the playing fields. I talked to the Parks & Rec's before even starting to swing my detector, and they were very kind on letting us detect, but mentioned about staying off the actual playing fields. I want to keep the folks in charge happy, so I can keep making my Garrett sing. |:cheering: Good hunting to ya, thumbsup01 Eric

Diggerlou
08-02-2012, 08:48 PM
ThanX Eric !! Appreciate it.......