PDA

View Full Version : it says 925 on it ?

carl2112
08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
i found a charm today in a ball feild it has 925 on the back but on my AT pro it rang up as a pull tab around 55 on the display thats odd cause i havent seen silver show up that low before has anyone else seen something like this or could this be a knock off fake and they just put a 925 stamp on it to fool people ill post a pick soon

del
08-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Carl how big is the charm ?? if its pretty tiny it still could be silver , remember detectors asign numbers to coin size targets because thats what they are calibrated at . so naturally a tiny piece of silver will read a lot lower but if the item is good size then it might be a fake .

Dan

carl2112
08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
its a decent size about and inch and a half long by quarter inch wide its in the shape of palestine and has that written on it (i live in a heavely arab populated area )

del
08-01-2012, 10:14 PM
sounds like you may have a knock-off Carl :shocked04:verreaction:

carl2112
08-01-2012, 10:16 PM
damn i was afraid of that ill still post a pic of it later plus the other day i found a silver ring ive been meaning to post a pic of this one im sures silver looks older says sterling on it and rang up as 74 on my display

freemindstuck
08-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Yeah I've had very small silver hit in the bronze to brass range, but never like a low conductor such as a pull tab. Sounds like it might be fake, you could always do an acid test on it. Or you could also try the sulfur match test? I'm not sure if it really works but the idea is stick a sulfur match on it, light it with another match and the sulfur in the match should cause a chemical reaction that leaves a black stain on the surface not easily removed without a cleaner.

RobW
08-02-2012, 08:49 AM
I've had small silver ring in at the pull tab range...like this really cool victorian bezel that was done like a snake..I almost didn't dig it, but I had been digging some GREAT stuff in the area (barbers and even a KG)..so it was worth the risk...and it paid off!

I was with George once and he got a a sterling comb slip that rang in in the pull tab range too.

tanacat
08-02-2012, 09:14 AM
I found a silver charm anklet with lots of thin little bells that looked like silver but rang up in gold range-50's on my V3i. I was thinking perhaps it was white gold :cheesysmile: The clasp was missing which is prob where the mark was... Anyway I took it in to jewelry store and they said it was sterling. I think when silver is thin it rings up lower VDi #...

carl2112
08-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks guys you've given me hope. I'll take it to get and acid test eventually till then I'm calling it silver !!!!

Lowjiber
08-03-2012, 05:59 AM
Thanks guys you've given me hope. I'll take it to get and acid test eventually till then I'm calling it silver !!!!

You can buy your own test kit for between $10 & $20 bucks. I've used the same one for years. Try Googling silver test kit and you'll see bunches for sale...cheap.

carl2112
08-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Ok here's some pics of that charm what do you guys think ?