PDA

View Full Version : 5 Silver, Wheaties, Clad, & Stuff....

CousinEddie
08-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Decided to put on my big boy pants today and went door knocking. I hate door knocking in my area because it's never easy and can be dangerous, hahaha!! I got out early to beat the heat and knocked on 12 doors. Got 11 no's in a row and the usual few that cussed me out like they knew me, haha!! The last house said yes, reluctantly, so I got to it quickly. This is what I found in the 90 mins I was there....:

5 silver dimes..: 2 Mercs (1940, 42) 3 Rosies (1951, 57, 60)

3 Wheaties...: 1935, 43, 44

Clad

Handsaw emblem/handplate screw...: Thing that looks like a button behind the little sign/next to the jax

Jax

Toy sign

Small pulley

Older hand shovel

Bell

CousinEddie
08-02-2012, 02:38 PM
:cool:

aloldstuff
08-02-2012, 03:35 PM
5 silvers sure is a sweet hunt. Huge :congrats: on all your keepers

CousinEddie
08-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Thank you... So far it's the most I have found in one day. I had a 4 silver day a few weeks ago. I've only been md'ing since March, so I'm hoping I have more days like this....

freemindstuck
08-02-2012, 06:46 PM
5 silvers is a great hunt! :congrats: Very nicely done.

li tom
08-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Wow,you handle rejection very,very well.Eleven no's in a row!After about 3 I would have sworn off door knocking for good.Sweet finds!

CODY
08-02-2012, 08:38 PM
:wow: WTG! Nice Silver! The winding road sign, does it have Lionel on it anywhere? I agree, I hate door knocking. But I did it yesterday and have two new places to hunt starting tom. Again, congrats on the great finds.

CousinEddie
08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Wow,you handle rejection very,very well.Eleven no's in a row!After about 3 I would have sworn off door knocking for good.Sweet finds!

Thanks for all the kind replies!! Yes, my skin is thick. My area is very tough for knocking. I live in the country and it's mostly old farms and farm houses. I have 3 types that I have to deal with when knocking in my area....:

1...: The elderly that are just plain scared to let someone they don't know snoop around thier homes.

2...: The group that tells me that they live in the country to avoid people like me knocking on thier doors and they want to live a secluded life.

3....: The ignorant group that likes to tell me what they think of me and this hobby. They yell and curse at me like you wouldn't believe.

Luckily, I have a handful of old farms that I am allowed to hunt at anytime. I hit them at different times and I grid small areas. They are always turning up good stuff.

The only good thing about the hassle getting onto properties around me, when I do get a yes...they are virgin sites. I find alot of good stuff quickly. I hit a farm a few weeks ago and ended up with a 1916 Merc, 1952 Rosie, 1897 Barber Half Dollar, and a SLQ (no date), in less than two hours. I knew no one had hit it so I went back a few days later and found another SLQ, a few Buffalo's, an IH, and a good amount of early Wheaties.

CousinEddie
08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
:wow: WTG! Nice Silver! The winding road sign, does it have Lionel on it anywhere? I agree, I hate door knocking. But I did it yesterday and have two new places to hunt starting tom. Again, congrats on the great finds.

I looked for a Lionel marking but can't find one. My father in law says it looks like the one he had with his Lionel trainset back in the 60's. Who know's? Thanks for the kind reply. :groovy:

milco
08-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Great stuff, all it takes is one yes to get on a great yard!

starman2
08-03-2012, 12:11 PM
:perfect10:! 5 Silver day! :wow:! The right owner said yes. Great finds along with the other relics! WTG!! |:cheering:

PL8MAN
08-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Sweet silver !

JTGOLD
08-04-2012, 08:41 AM
nice silver day,wtg.