PDA

View Full Version : Field of Broken Signals Puts up a Fight

z118
03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Not a great night for hunting tonight with temps in the mid 30's and a steady drizzle, but I had the opportunity so I got out for a hunt. After finding my first Barber half on Sunday I likely would have gone hunting tonight even in a monsoon. I headed back to the same spot which has given up a bunch of wheats, a war nickel, and two silver halves in a few hunts this season. After a steady rain most of the day conditions were awful; with standing water over most of the field. But again, with that Barber half on my mind, I was determined to see what else might be there. The Sov seemed especially cranky, giving more broken tones and chirps than usual, and giving seemingly weak tones on relatively shallow targets. I'm not sure if the standing water would have had an effect... At any rate, I had no realy luck to speak of, scoring only two absolutely cruddy wheat pennies and a small amout of clad along with the obligatory key and a mood ring.

I've now found 6 silver coins at this spot - the two halves, a Washinton quarter, a Mercury dime, and two war nickels; along with some 27 wheats. The two halves seem peculiar and make me nervous that I am somehow missing the smaller coins. It's hard to imagine two halves in any one spot without a corresponding amount of smaller change (though of course you just never know). Again, the Sov seems to have a hell of a time at this spot for whatever reason. I don't suppose there's much to be done about it... but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Happy hunting...

hoser
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I have run into this a lot over time too Z. But hey, you didn't get skunked. Hit it again once it dries up a tad. I know that snow has some effect on my Etrac. I get all kinds of chatter when I'm on the snow, but move off a few feet and it straightens right out. Have no clue why, but it happened even when I was using the DFX. OMG!! radioactive snow!! :shocked04: :twirlingeyes: lol Hang in there bud.