PDA

View Full Version : BROKE 50 COPPER MARK! TWO 1787 CT COPPERS*MUTTON HEAD VARIETY

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Decided to go back up to my virgin cellar hole.it was HOT! buggy & miserable. stayed 8 hours and worked for my finds today.dug an awful lot of iron but got a few keepers hiding in it.
A iron chape from a colonial shoe buckle,a few buttons one being a tombac,a hand made lead fishing weight and musketball and 2 coppers one being a 1787 connecticut & no clue what the other one is :confused: he has an awfully fat head and the reverse is pretty wiped out.thought i saw a crown on the top on back while cleaning but maybe my eyes playing tricks on me? Dan any idea what it is? a 1787 connecticut muttonhead? or nova emborac? possibly?
these 2 bring me up to 51 large coppers on the year.
13 COPPERS FROM THIS SITE ALONE

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2012, 07:09 PM
more pics

del
08-04-2012, 08:22 PM
congrats Dave :clapping: :clapping: dude i told you theres probably atleast another half a dozen more coins there , this makes how many total you found here ?? i can see some very nice relics showing themselves there too. your mystery copper is an unusual one , it doesn't look like any Connecticut copper i'm curious as to what IP thinks it is he's much better on french and british coins than i . i'm sure i've seen that wide head type before but just can't find it in any of the books but i'll keep looking. when you think you cleaned it up good i want a shot at it with the tdi ;)

Dan

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2012, 08:29 PM
congrats Dave :clapping: :clapping: dude i told you theres probably atleast another half a dozen more coins there , this makes how many total you found here ?? i can see some very nice relics showing themselves there too. your mystery copper is an unusual one , it doesn't look like any Connecticut copper i'm curious as to what IP thinks it is he's much better on french and british coins than i . i'm sure i've seen that wide head type before but just can't find it in any of the books but i'll keep looking. when you think you cleaned it up good i want a shot at it with the tdi ;)

Dan

Dan look in the redbook under Ct coppers.its a mutton head variety. that's 13 coppers from this site.it's a tight site with all the grassy stuff growing but yeah i'll take ya there,i'm afraid but I will :teasing:

del
08-04-2012, 08:33 PM
yeah i see it now definately a mutton head variety , its wouls be nice to see which of the two back varieties you have though. hey big congrats on 2 conn. coppers :smitten:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Dan theres an awful lot of iron,and using the tone Id helped nab these coins no doubt.plus theres a heavy bed of pine needles .i wish i had a bigger coil.I may take my beach hunter ID with the 12 inch coil there and give it a whack.see if i can get a deeper coin or 2

del
08-04-2012, 08:53 PM
those type of sites are my favorite Dave , when your pulling state coppers your in a prime area for great things to find . best of luck on your next visit.

Celluforce
08-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Nice finds!

Daniel [attachimg=1]

Fire Fighter 43
08-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Congrats on a nice hunt, WTG |:cheering:

aloldstuff
08-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Dve, WTG on getting 2 more coppers from that site and for inviting Dan to try out the TDI there. Congrats on all you keepers

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Dve, WTG on getting 2 more coppers from that site and for inviting Dan to try out the TDI there. Congrats on all you keepers

thanks! I'm afraid to invite Dan down with that beast :embarrassed: but,he knows he's always welcome down this way.somebody has to get him outta the house!

del
08-05-2012, 07:29 PM
thanks! I'm afraid to invite Dan down with that beast :embarrassed: but,he knows he's always welcome down this way.somebody has to get him outta the house!

hey i've been cooped up almost two weeks now with a lower back strain muscle , be very afraid when i get healthy again with that tdi lol lol

hey did anyone id your other Connecticut yet ??

milco
08-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Sweet finds and congrats on two more coppers, that's an amazing site!

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-06-2012, 06:59 AM
hey i've been cooped up almost two weeks now with a lower back strain muscle , be very afraid when i get healthy again with that tdi lol lol

hey did anyone id your other Connecticut yet ??

well take your time getting better! nope..nobody Id it yet?

del
08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
hey Dave heres a picture of the front of a mutton head variety notice the weakly struck letters (common for this type ) and explains why yours are not very visible .

you guys just can't cut me a break and find the easier type of Connecticuts , you know the ones without 241 different varieties >:{ >:/ lol lol well the other looks very close to a Miller 33.16-Z.15

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-06-2012, 07:02 PM
hey Dave heres a picture of the front of a mutton head variety notice the weakly struck letters (common for this type ) and explains why yours are not very visible .

you guys just can't cut me a break and find the easier type of Connecticuts , you know the ones without 241 different varieties >:{ >:/ lol lol well the other looks very close to a Miller 33.16-Z.15

thanks Dan now can you tell me the rarities on these 2? sorry.get back in the book dude! rofl

del
08-07-2012, 12:49 PM
thanks Dan now can you tell me the rarities on these 2? sorry.get back in the book dude! rofl

the Mutton head is a URS-10 rariety (250-499) known and start out $100 bucks in G-4

the 33.16-Z.15 is a little more scarce URS-9 (125-249) known but only starts out at $50 in G-4

a perfect example of a less rare coin going for more because it more desireable from its oddity.

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-09-2012, 05:02 AM
the Mutton head is a URS-10 rariety (250-499) known and start out $100 bucks in G-4

the 33.16-Z.15 is a little more scarce URS-9 (125-249) known but only starts out at $50 in G-4

a perfect example of a less rare coin going for more because it more desireable from its oddity.

thanks Dan!