PDA

View Full Version : ANyone know anything about woodworking?

hockeyguy
08-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Ok, so I haven't been MD ing much this year because I am working on my business and marketing efforts. For the 1st year in 5, revenue is down. my honeydew list is ginormous and not improving much.

Here's my issue:

My wife wanted an outdoor patio set for the deck. Yup, the nice one/s cost a fortune. She decided to alter a wooden (butcher block type) kitchen table we had. Naturally, this became my project. I said it wouldn't work but after another opinion, we decided to do it.

After I spent hours sanding it, we tiled the top using thinset to adhere the tiles to it. I rented a wetsaw and we puzzled everytihing together with a nice design she picked out. 3 days later, I grouted it and a few days later, I began to see cracks in the grout. >:tongue:

After a bit of googling, I can see clearly that the tiles are moving and the cracks more numerous and growing larger. My guess is that they are responding to the table's constantly changin characteristics due to the heat and humidity of being outside. Now I am in a quandry. With hours and hours into this project (sure was beautiful tiled table) I am faced with a tiled, wooden table that is erupting. Of course I can regrout to fill in the cracks, but they will probably just come back over and over as the wood responds to the outdoor conditions.
SO, does anyone have any advice for me knowing I don't know jack about these items?

Any help is appreciated.

Aaron

del
08-05-2012, 06:36 PM
hey Aaron got any pictures of your handy-work??

freemindstuck
08-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't know that you can completely keep the wood from expanding and contracting. I guess my question to you is did you coat the wood with poly? If you didn't I would try stripping the tiles back off of it. Resanding and coating it with 15 or 20 layers of polyurethane. Of course I don't think this will entirely prevent a table which is outdoors from swelling and contracting.

ScrapMetal
08-05-2012, 10:44 PM
I am far from an expert, but I think you are correct about the tiles moving because of the constant expansion/contraction of the wood.
You must have a material that will not change with temperature, moisture, and made for tile adhesion.
What they use in showers is cement board, or concrete backer board. I think you can buy this in 4' X 8' X 1/4 sheets.

For more info just Google tiling a wood table, it will give you a general idea of how to achieve what you desire.