PDA

View Full Version : Indian Heads, Silver and a fun pocket spill

jkress
08-05-2012, 08:06 PM
We had another break in the heat today. :clapping: After a week of mid 90's and lots of humidity, the temperature
broke again today for a very pleasant Sunday morning hunt. Low 70's for the entire morning.

Did some park hunting and managed to get keepers in my pocket.
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-43.jpg

Plus an enjoyable pocket spill. The high tone stopped me to investigate. But as I circled the hole, the high tone
sharply turned into a low one and moved a bit. Once I isolated the high tone again and got a solid pinpoint,
I was hoping there might be a nickel mixed in with silver. The targets were at the right depth.

No silver in the hole, but it was fun pulling out all of the coins. :smitten:
http://jkress.com/AmericanDetectorist2012/pictures/picture-44.jpg

Although I wish my coil found it's way over more shiny ones... I was very happy with the variety of coins. thumbsup01

Tony Two-Cent
08-05-2012, 08:13 PM
You certainly had a great day of hunting, Joe! Beautiful coins! Those Indian Heads are so green they're almost luminescent.

That is an awesome pocket spill too! :smitten:

I am curious about the dates on the wheat cents from the pocket spill. I always like to pinpoint the approximate year the coins were dropped. It also helps me to figure out how long certain coins were commonly in circulation, like the V Nickel.

Congrats on the fun finds! <:

CODY
08-05-2012, 08:14 PM
WOW, very nice. :perfect10: :perfect10: Love the pocket spill! How bout sending some of that cool weather this way!

Snapolson
08-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Now THAT's a nice spill, even without some silver!! Congrats!

Thiltzy
08-05-2012, 09:15 PM
:wow: That is a sweet spill you got there. Great variety.
That is some nice soil you have there and the coins show it. Great details and your V-nickle is in super shape.

milco
08-05-2012, 09:22 PM
That looks like a great hunt! Very nice coins and those old spills are always fun when you get to keep pulling coin after coin out of the dirt! I know what you mean about the weather, what a welcome break today!

jkress
08-05-2012, 09:36 PM
I always like to pinpoint the approximate year the coins were dropped. It also helps me to figure out how long certin coins were commonly in circulation, like the V Nickel.

I like to do the same thing. :yes:
After digging them I figured they were possibly dropped in the mid to late 30's. :confused: Based on the wear of the Buffs, and Wheats.
The V seems to be in good shape compared to the wear on the other two groups. :dontknow:

Here are the dates -
Wheat Cents:
1913S
Buffaloes:
V:

How bout sending some of that cool weather this way!

lol Sorry buddy, we just can't spare any. :cheesysmile: Below 90 degrees is a rarity around here since the beginning of June.
Perhaps sometime in September I'll package some up and send to you. $9.99 plus S&H. rofl

Now THAT's a nice spill, even without some silver!! Congrats!

Thanks. It was fun pulling them out. :yes:

That is some nice soil you have there and the coins show it. Great details and your V-nickle is in super shape.

The park had the sandy/black soil mixture I love. :smitten: Although I had a bit of corrosion on a few coins... most from here
held up very well.

I know what you mean about the weather, what a welcome break today!

Thank you Darren. It was fun to have the coins keep coming one after another. A couple times I had two coins with each handful
of dirt.
I was digging some ground a little bit up your way this morning. Very nice weather on your side of the river. :smitten:

Ill Digger
08-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Man! I need to get out bad! :envious: :crying02: :girlcry: .... lol
Thats a cool old pocket spill Joe! thumbsup01 :cool:
Just the Merc and 4 IH's would've made for a fun day! :yes:... specially since I haven't swung my detector in weeks crying01
Congrats on a sweet hunt! :grin:

dave in iowa
08-05-2012, 11:02 PM
great hunt Joe , havent been out for so long , dont know what its like to get anything
|:cheering:

freemindstuck
08-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Wow, looks like a great hunt even though you didn't find as much silver as you would have liked. I don't see to many buffaloes with such a nice date on them. A couple of the Indians are in great shape and the V is a beauty. I would have loved to hunt today, but my daughter came for a visit and I ended up working on her car instead. :envious: :crying02:

serega
08-06-2012, 03:44 AM
:perfect10: Indians

aloldstuff
08-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Joe, very nice assortment of keepers. That V looks great. A pocket spill like that puts a smile on anybodies face. |:cheering: :congrats: on those keepers

leslie(nova scotia)
08-06-2012, 06:36 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....nice patina on the coppers. Merc are always a joy to find! <;)

POKIE73
08-06-2012, 06:53 AM
congrats on all your finds i wish i could find a nickel have yet been able great finds and goo luck dennis

RobW
08-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Freakin' Wicked Hunt!! Lots of indians and some great nickels...WHAT A SPILL!

starman2
08-06-2012, 11:43 AM
:perfect10:! Great photo's, and story! :congrats: on the silver, and IH's! But especially the spill! That is awesome! To me. that is better then a silver dime. Love those old Nickles :smitten:! WTG!! |:cheering:

Cheap Thrills
08-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Nice going Joe , that is one fantasiic spill and as always great photos . :perfect10:

Fire Fighter 43
08-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Very nice Joe, congrats on some great finds, WTG |:cheering:

del
08-08-2012, 06:13 PM
wow great old pocket spill Joe :smitten: :smitten: just look at that v-nickle :shocked04:

(you know Joe your soil really sickens me :eyebrow:) lol lol

brianb3006
08-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Very Nice!! Congrats!!! :congrats: