PDA

View Full Version : Coin/Washer with Square hole

buck57
08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi All, I know I seen this once before on the forum, but can't locate it now, nor do I remember what the out come was.
So, can any one help I.D. these for me. I first thought a brass washer for maybe a pneumatic thermostat or on a controller, but I'm leaning more towards a coin. I have been finding these in the same area I found my Chinese Coin, which had a square hole but also had writing on it.
Thanks

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t471/buck1957/Kemper%20Finds%202012/IMG_0001.jpg

del
08-07-2012, 10:00 AM
could you post a good clear closeup picture of the front and back to a couple...

i have similar looking things to those as mine are thin brass or copper alloy round washer type items ( some are flat while others are slightly curved) all have square holes. mine turned out to be backing escutcheon plates to drawer or cabinet knobs .

buck57
08-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks del. That makes sense being a backing on drawer pulls. I'll try and get a better pic, but I can not focus good the closer I move in to an object.

del
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
theres no macro setting ( its usually a flower icon or symbol) on your camera?? its used to take closeups while stablizing the focus.

buck57
08-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Here's a close up, del...
Thanks

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t471/buck1957/Kemper%20Finds%202012/Untitled-3.jpg

Lowjiber
08-09-2012, 05:50 AM
When George Washington and I were in the Army, the brass insignia on dress greens was of two types...

The first was a simple stamped button with posts to mount it on the collar.

The second was a three piece insignia. The first piece contained the pins to attach it. The second was the disk that you've found. The third (which had a square peg that passed thru the hole to screw to piece #1...it was either U.S, or the branch insignia (Arty, Infantry, etc.)

When I was in Officer Candidate School, we used to take the pieces apart; insert a wooden pencil tip through the square hole; and spin the disk in Brasso. The result was a very shiny disk that had almost microscopic rings that twinkled in the sunshine.

The first, stamped models were govt issued and by far the most common. The second type (like yours) had to be purchased at the exchange.

buck57
08-09-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks Lowjiber :waving: That makes sence, since I've been finding these all over Kemper Military School. You know, I have found a small insignia which had miniture threads on the end of it. I'll have to go back and see if it had a square peg as well. I appriciate you looking and solving this for me. Good hunting to ya thumbsup01 Eric

del
08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
When George Washington and I were in the Army, the brass insignia on dress greens was of two types...

The first was a simple stamped button with posts to mount it on the collar.

The second was a three piece insignia. The first piece contained the pins to attach it. The second was the disk that you've found. The third (which had a square peg that passed thru the hole to screw to piece #1...it was either U.S, or the branch insignia (Arty, Infantry, etc.)

When I was in Officer Candidate School, we used to take the pieces apart; insert a wooden pencil tip through the square hole; and spin the disk in Brasso. The result was a very shiny disk that had almost microscopic rings that twinkled in the sunshine.

The first, stamped models were govt issued and by far the most common. The second type (like yours) had to be purchased at the exchange.

hey John i believe your right , heres what you are talking about , right??
great id John.

buck57
08-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I'll be del :clapping: That's it.. Thanks for the pic. Thanks again John.
Good hunting guys thumbsup01

Lowjiber
08-10-2012, 06:02 AM
hey John i believe your right , heres what you are talking about , right??
great id John.

Yup. The one pictured there is for the cab driver hat

Same concept, but different mounting. The ones for the uniform lapel have a backing plate with little pins to stick through the fabric.

Glad I could help.