PDA

View Full Version : Complete silver shoe buckle another Hard times token

foundation hunter
08-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Went back to that same cellar hole today after the hard rain last night and did it pay off,i found another token,[dan can i get your help] and this beautiful shoe buckle.This buckle sat right underneath a piece of iron the vid was jumping fron iron to half dollar boy am i glad i dug this one. theres iron stuck to the buckle do u think this could be hammered silver?Its def. silver the iron is comming of with my nail and it just has that silver look.Thanks dave i used that CLR almost all the rust is off.
Thanks Gary

Thiltzy
08-06-2012, 05:39 PM
:wow: Beautiful Buckle very nice save :perfect10:. Gratz on another token

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-06-2012, 06:01 PM
beautiful buckle Gary! no it's not applied silver.looks solid to me.the CLR worked pretty good! looks great!

del
08-07-2012, 08:25 AM
:wow: congrats onthe silver shoe buckle Gary :loveit: :loveit: just to let you know the clr will dull or grey the silver some but you can shine it up nice with a jewelers cloth. you should have some silversmith's cartuche on it somewhere that would give you an accurate date i bet its somewhere around 1770's to 1790 , the token is much later around 1840's to 50 a new york merchants token Bowen & Mcnamee . very sweet finds |:cheering: |:cheering:

aloldstuff
08-07-2012, 09:40 AM
What a great looking buckle. And its silver :congrats: |:cheering:. Cool token also.

Toadman
08-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Actually smiling here... Awesome buckle ! I have a few of em. and they are the first thing i look at, when I scope out my finds..

Fire Fighter 43
08-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Great finds WTG |:cheering:

del
08-08-2012, 06:06 PM
hey Gary did that brass chape and tongue come out of the same hole with that silver frame:huh:

because now that i look at it more the brass-alloy chape and tongue look a bit small for that buckle frame ( it doesn't quite reach both sides of the inside frame) and with all the rust that was originally on the frame it probably had all iron chape and tongue . most larger silver or heavy silver plated shoe frames had iron parts for a couple of reasons , for one the iron was shiney and polished and matched the silver colored frames and the iron was stronger than the brass on these large shoe buckles.

Dan

buck57
08-08-2012, 06:46 PM
:wow:. What a beaut....buckle Gary. :congrats: great hunt. thumbsup01

wild willy
08-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Actually smiling here... Awesome buckle ! I have a few of em. and they are the first thing i look at, when I scope out my finds..
ya the toad has some nice buckles. willy