PDA

View Full Version : bigger or smaller coil ??

carl2112
08-10-2012, 04:01 PM
ok ive been told its better to use a larger coil because it covers more ground but i was thinking of upgrading to a smaller DD coil mostly because i spend alot of time digging in the water and have a hard time retriving targets i figured with a smaller coil my pinpointing would be alot better and my digging would be alot less. any thoughts on this ? what coil size do all you seasoned beach hunters use

DennisH
08-11-2012, 04:23 AM
Retreving items in the water is hard to do, just when you think you have it down pat you get one that takes forever. My honest opion is keep going with what you have untill you get better. I have had small hits go thru my scoop holes and take forever and gold can be deep and sound shallow and take a while to retreive.

Lowjiber
08-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I think a lot depends on whether you're in the ocean waves, or not. My Surfmaster Pro PI has a nine inch coil that is just about right. However, the newer versions have twelve inch coils.

I like the smaller coils because they don't ride up in the wave undertow.

Your results may vary.

RaZR
08-14-2012, 08:53 PM
I use an older B.H.I.D. with a 9.5 coil. The coil can't be changed (except by sending it in to whites and paying $$$$). So i guess my favorite is a 9.5 coil. :grin:

Thiltzy
08-17-2012, 08:19 AM
I use 8 coil on my sand shark which is great for water hunting because it stays level in the waves and it has better seperation in those iron infested waters. As far as pin pointing... It does a great job but the more important thing is to have a big water scoop.
After water hunting with my friend John and watching him recover twice as many targets as me, I switched from a 5 scoop to a 6.5.