PDA

View Full Version : Cent Trifecta!

Bell-Two
08-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Copper set the tone of the day, (pardon the pun) with all the best finds being copper coins. We went out door knocking and the first place was a spot we have wanted to hunt for awhile but nobody had ever been home, well we found the owners home today and they were super nice and gave us permission to not only hunt this house but also another old house just down the road, and a field where there used to be Church Camp revival meetings! We spent sometime at the first house and there were not many targets, the best finds there was a 7 wheatie pocket spill with all coins dated 1925 or older including a 1912. I also found a Pocket Watch and Diane found a decorative brass piece. We decided to save the field hunt for a later time since the sky was a bit overcast and it looked like rain could come in. We went down to the second house and my first target was a 1:eyebrow:8 Indian Head in which someone drilled a hole right through the date. Diane found a 1930 wheatie very near where I found the Indian. It was slow going for awhile picking up some brass artifacts and the occasional wheatie including a 1911-D. Working the side yard I got a nice 12-46 signal and at 5” out popped a large green disc. At first I wasn’t sure if it was a Large Cent or not because it was a bit out of round. After wiping it off a bit I could see the ONE CENT on the back and a hole in the edge of this coin too looks as though some one hit it with a hammer. It is odd in the last couple of weeks I have dug a holed, Two Cent Piece, Indian Head and now the Large Cent! This was my second Cent Trifecta but the first that all the coins came from one yard. I ended up with 11 wheaties, 1 Indian and 1 Large Cent.

buck57
08-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Wholly crap Bell-Two, what a hunt :congrats: Some really nice old finds. I found my first half-dime last week and there was that hole in the bottom left side. My wife looked on line, and if there was a hole on the top, then it was most likely used as a pendent, and any where else, I read they used to string thier coins together for a status thing or just to carry them around. :shocked01: Any ways, good on you and Diane thumbsup01

aloldstuff
08-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Door knocking can really pay off. :congrats: on getting all those copper coins and on the trifecta :perfect10: