PDA

View Full Version : Cornfield Hunting Question

Sal66
08-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Hey everyone. I have a question about Detecting Cornfields. Is anyone from Connecticut ? I was wondering when they start picking corn in this area . I have a guy who gave me permission to detect his property that he just bought this Spring. He planted corn in this field I've been detecting for some time now but this is the first time probably in 100 years that it's been used to grow crops.. I can't wait til it gets picked :hairpulling: . Wish me Luck.

aloldstuff
08-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Sal, great job on securing permission. I have had great success in cornfields. I have spent about 2 years doing some cornfield near my home and have found many old coins and relics. I am waiting for this years crop to be harvested, hopefully in Oct?

CTX Tom
08-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Most of the time in upstate ny it's usually around late oct,sometimes into november if it the feeder type corn.

08-14-2012, 12:48 AM
what kind of corn? cow corn or sweet corn. Cow corn is bought in how many days it takes for the corn to ripen. you can buy @90 day corn or @115 day corn and different times in between.

Sal66
08-15-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm guessing sweet corn because he owns a Plant/ Tree Nursery on the same land so I'm assuming that's what he's going tosell next. All the Corn Plants in my town are real tall so I'm hoping soon. I have to stop by and ask, I'm so excited because there used to be a house from the 1800's right next to the field. I've found coins from 1902 - 1916 at 6-8 inches so I'm assuming the older stuff must be deeper which would make the field at great place to find them. |:cheering:
One other question since you asked. How do you tell Cow Corn from Sweet Corn ?

Dig EM
08-17-2012, 11:15 AM
I mostly hit the corn field here in Ohio in early spring. That way there are no crops to deal with and alot of farmers turn the ground over and its nice hunting if its dry.

Sal66
08-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Hey everyone. How do you tell Cow Corn from Sweet Corn ? Can you tell by the plant ? Or is it the Corn that's different ?