PDA

View Full Version : I found a 18_4 Capped Bust Dime!!!

Ill Digger
03-25-2010, 10:16 AM
I am soooo happy!!! :twirlingeyes:
Last night a friend and I went back to a old farm house I gained permission for last year. I found a 54 quarter there last week but I was getting pretty tired of digging up 170 years worth of trash but my buddy wanted to hang out a little longer. Just then he says I found a Bufallo nickel . It turned out to be his first!!! So I walked over to look at it and when I got close to him and his V3 my DFX flipped out so I took two steps away from him and got a broken signal that rang up in the in the aluminum range, then jumped up to penny/dime range down to iron and back up to aluminum I said to myself what is that all about?.I had to find out. I dug down and pulled out 3 nails and 2 or 3 small pieces of rusted iron of the hole. At this point I about gave up and just assumed it was the rusty iron falsing on me. :bangahead01: So I checked the plug and found a small piece off can slaw and said to my self There it is :rolleyes: . As I was flipping the plug back over I stuck the ProPointer in the plug and when I did the the plug broke in half and the PP started to sing again. Thats when I pulled out a little silver disk and it turned out to be this little jem!!! That's a new oldest for me!!! The lesson...never give up :yes:
Thanks for lookin' & HH :grin:

Epi-hunter
03-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Wow!!! Great story and incredible find! Congrats!!! thumbsup01

magic
03-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Great find!

randy
03-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Wow, way to go thumbsup01. Maybe there's more at that farmhouse.

coinnut
03-25-2010, 01:40 PM
That's a pretty old piece of silver. Leason learned &quot:grin:shocked04:n't write off any signal until the hole is completely empty!!!! lol I bet you couldn't believe it was a Capped Bust! :shocked04: At least you know which side was worn up ;) Nice find, and now you get an indication of how many coins we are going over when they are mixed with junk. You may not have hit that one if it wasn't for that trip to see the Buffalo :yes: Nice going and congrats on your oldest coin thumbsup01

del
03-25-2010, 02:24 PM
very sweet looking old gal you found there , big congrats to ya

upsmanpa
03-25-2010, 02:44 PM
thumbsup01 Great job! Your picture reminds me of a picture of my brother Danny with his first Buck (Deer not a $) in this case it's a dime. Good stuff!

hoser
03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
WOOT! :drool: Now thats an awesome find. They could have at least punched the hole off the date. :bangahead01: Very well done.

angellionel
03-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Excellent! What a beauty. :) Like coinnut said, that is the type of treasure that is mixed in with trash. :yes: Very nice find. thumbsup01

Ill Digger
03-25-2010, 10:36 PM
That's a pretty old piece of silver. Leason learned &quot:grin:shocked04:n't write off any signal until the hole is completely empty!!!! lol I bet you couldn't believe it was a Capped Bust! :shocked04: At least you know which side was worn up ;) Nice find, and now you get an indication of how many coins we are going over when they are mixed with junk. You may not have hit that one if it wasn't for that trip to see the Buffalo :yes: Nice going and congrats on your oldest coin thumbsup01

Thanks!! And your right I pull out every singel singnal the Pro Pointer gives. If I would of assumed that that last beep was more can slaw....she might be in the ground for another 150 years crying01 If my buddy hadn't dug the buff, I for sure wouldn't have found this. I haven't even mentioned what happened when I ran to the truck to get his phone so he could take my stunned look :twirlingeyes: picture lol
As I'm walking back to my hole Earl yells to me Yours maybe older but mines prettier! Confused I said What in the heck are you talkin' about ? He yells back And it's bigger too!.Still confused as I'm walking up to him he holds up a nearly flawless 1916d Barber Quarter!!! :shocked04: :shocked04: I about messed myself lol

coinnut
03-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks!! And your right I pull out every singel singnal the Pro Pointer gives. If I would of assumed that that last beep was more can slaw....she might be in the ground for another 150 years crying01 If my buddy hadn't dug the buff, I for sure wouldn't have found this. I haven't even mentioned what happened when I ran to the truck to get his phone so he could take my stunned look :twirlingeyes: picture lol
As I'm walking back to my hole Earl yells to me Yours maybe older but mines prettier! Confused I said What in the heck are you talkin' about ? He yells back And it's bigger too!.Still confused as I'm walking up to him he holds up a nearly flawless 1916d Barber Quarter!!! :shocked04: :shocked04: I about messed myself lol

I wanna go detecting with you guys lol lol Them coins are SWEET thumbsup01

sjv
03-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Nice find!!!!!!!!!! Why do they put a hole right over the date? Doesn't sound smart, does it?

coinnut
03-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Nice find!!!!!!!!!! Why do they put a hole right over the date? Doesn't sound smart, does it?

I think they wanted to display the eagle side. It still was a very patriotic time period and the eagle represented our country's strenght and resolve. The date was meaningless to them. Think about the poor chap in 200 yerars that finds that Memorial and says man, why did they put a hole through a non zinc Memorial? rofl I think I'm gonna put a hole in one now lol

sniffy
03-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Thats an awesome coin any way you look at it!

Ill Digger
03-26-2010, 10:32 PM

I think the person who punched the hole in it liked the picture of the eagle better than the picture of Lady Liberty.....thats my guess :huh: Like coinnut said it was a very patriotic time in this country. I actually love the hole...it adds soo much character !!! Don't get me wrong I wish it was in the 10c instead !! :rolleyes:
Also I have to give credit to AlinMN from the friendly forum for pointing out a few things to help me nail down the date. I'm not 100% still but so many have become believers. We'll see what ya'll think

Quote:
Too bad for the hole. It means they were wearing it upside down, and now you'll never know exactly what year it is. So rude of them. : ) Congrats anyway, and you can stop dancing now. LOL
Congratulations on the very old coin find! The hole is not pretty but it doesn't stop us from determining the date of the coin. It couldn't be an 1804 because the reverse design is different and it couldn't be an 1844 or later because the front and back would both have different designs. With that said we have three choices left; 1814, 1824, 1834. Now the fun thing about coin collecting is looking closely at the coins to notice differences. Here are pictures of the dates of dimes from, 1814, 1824, and 1834. Look closely at the 1 in the date, notice the top and the bottom and also the distance from the 8. Then compare the pictures of Ill Digger's dime and see if you can see any differences to tell what year Ill Digger's dime is. Good Luck!
Here's a few picture's Al added and the last one is mine again .
What year would you tell everyone this coin is :huh: :huh:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-27-2010, 04:00 AM
nice story and great pic of you holding the coin! congrats! thumbsup01

ProPointer
03-27-2010, 11:25 AM
I would say it is a 1834. I believe that because they were only made from 1808-1837. There are only 1814, 1824 and 1834. The most with the date '4' in it was in 1834 with 635,000 minted. You have a keeper thumbsup01

RickO
03-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Very cool find... and your buddy did very well also... HH RickO