PDA

View Full Version : RR Tag, Tool Tag??

OxShoeDrew
08-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Any Idea? Top says C.T. Little :dontknow:

Thanks for looking, Drew

del
08-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Drew that to me looks like a baggage claim tag from either a railroad , stage or steamboat . sometimes its a combo of two of the above i mentioned but i'm pretty sure its a baggage tag. some of those are very collectable as the smaller rail lines or steamships didn't last but a few years so there wasn't many.

Dan

OxShoeDrew
08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Thank you Dan, I guess the C.T. Little is the person who made the tag.....or that is what I read someone say about a similar one I saw. I cant find a railroad that has initials SRR in my area.

CODY
08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Could be Southern RR. Strange how and where things show up. I found a Missouri Pacific RR lock in Laurel Mississippi. Things tend to travel where they shouldn't be.

OxShoeDrew
08-14-2012, 01:52 PM
So true Cody, stuff ends up everywhere. We did have a Shepaug RR in western Ct. ....but who knows... :dontknow:

aloldstuff
08-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Try this: www.tag-town.com (http://www.tag-town.com)

OxShoeDrew
08-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Try this: www.tag-town.com (http://www.tag-town.com)

That seems like a fund raising outfit. lol Maybe they sell old railroad tags to pay for field-trips :grin:thinkingabout:

aloldstuff
08-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Very sorry, try this one: www.tagtown.net (http://www.tagtown.net)

OxShoeDrew
08-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Very sorry, try this one: www.tagtown.net (http://www.tagtown.net)

Thanks Al, mine looks just like those examples. :cheesysmile:

aloldstuff
08-14-2012, 03:51 PM
I have hunted certain fields for many years and one of these fields gave up about 5 RR tags. I sold one at the RR show in West Springfield for $150. I don't sell my items but seeing that I had multiples why not.

OxShoeDrew
08-14-2012, 06:14 PM
I have hunted certain fields for many years and one of these fields gave up about 5 RR tags. I sold one at the RR show in West Springfield for $150. I don't sell my items but seeing that I had multiples why not.
Sweet! I think this one was from the Shore Line RR, Providence to New London. My vast experience in RR tag dating rofl puts it at circa 1870, give or take 30 yrs on each side. :grin:

milco
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
I believe the P - N.L to be the Palmer & New London RR. C.T. Little was more than likely the railroad agent at the issuing station of the tag. More research required....

OxShoeDrew
08-15-2012, 06:25 AM
I believe the P - N.L to be the Palmer & New London RR. C.T. Little was more than likely the railroad agent at the issuing station of the tag. More research required....

Thanks Milco, I can probably date it as that RR didn't last long.

Sal66
08-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Hey Drew ! Nice find ! I found a Luggage Tag some years back and found help through a Railroad Collector's website. If I can find the name of th site, I'll pass it your way. The guy on the site was great. He told me all about the Railroad's History and even gave me an Approximate value of about $50 .So, like Dan said, Railroad buffs love that kind of stuff and are full of knowledge concerning these Tags.Once again, nice find.

OxShoeDrew
08-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Hey Drew ! Nice find ! I found a Luggage Tag some years back and found help through a Railroad Collector's website. If I can find the name of th site, I'll pass it your way. The guy on the site was great. He told me all about the Railroad's History and even gave me an Approximate value of about $50 .So, like Dan said, Railroad buffs love that kind of stuff and are full of knowledge concerning these Tags.Once again, nice find.
thanks Sal, any info would be appreciated. The thing rang up nicely at 5in, I thought I had a copper, or an ox knob, but it wasn't where it should have been....so my hopes were dashed. I thought it was going to be large iron, but this popped out at about 7in.

Sal66
08-16-2012, 06:53 AM
Hey Drew I found the Website that helped me with my Luggage Tag. The guy that identified my Tag was great. He gave me more information than I expected. I would go to this site called : http://www.railroadiana.org/hw/pgBaggageTags.php
I forgot the guys name but the best thing to do is go to the Q&A Board and use the Email a Question up top option . DON'T ASK FOR A VALUE. It states that strictly but you might get lucky and someone may offer an approximate value depending who answers your question. The guy who answered my posting had no problem giving me a value but that was in 2006. Maybe they get too much of those questions, so I would concentrate on asking about ID'ing your Tag and the history of it.
Here's a pic of my Tag which was dated anywhere from 1839 - 1867 which is when the company was in business before changing hands and it did this several times over the years.
Don't ask me what the lead B disk is, I haven't figured it out yet. I just used it for size comparison. The Tag is actually 1 1/2 x 2 1/4 inches.

OxShoeDrew
08-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Thank you Sal.... Your's looks like the same time frame as mine. If mine is indeed a Palmer and New London then it would be 1850s as that was the decade they used that name....but I'm not sure of any of it and interest is fading lol I love how you used the B disc for size comparison but don't know what it is. lol :poke: lol

del
08-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Drew , in some areas detectorists can find a few or more a year but i only have one in the last twelve or so . its also a local small R.R. line that wasn't in business long .

OxShoeDrew
08-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Drew , in some areas detectorists can find a few or more a year but i only have one in the last twelve or so . its also a local small R.R. line that wasn't in business long .
Your's must be Hartford, Providence and Fishkill Railroad?...i guess they added the hartford to willimantic spur in 1851, then changed hands/name in he late 1850s. Mine must be around the same time.
Hey, did you find your's in hartford or willi?

del
08-16-2012, 07:04 PM
Your's must be Hartford, Providence and Fishkill Railroad?...i guess they added the hartford to willimantic spur in 1851, then changed hands/name in he late 1850s. Mine must be around the same time.
Hey, did you find your's in hartford or willi?

neither lol lol it jeez it was so long ago .... :thinkingabout:

OxShoeDrew
08-17-2012, 04:49 AM
neither lol lol it jeez it was so long ago .... :thinkingabout:
maybe it was Fishkill :grin: