PDA

View Full Version : Cool Yale University Alumni Association Fund Lead and Copper printing plate

mdakin
08-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I found what appears to be a small, lead and copper printing plate. It was found in Connecticut, but pretty far away from Yale, NE CT. It is around the size of a US quarter.

The outside letters appear to be a lead alloy, the oval center looks to be a copper engraving.

The Letters say Yale University Alumni Association Fund.

There is a figure in the middle dressed in some old time clothes, he looks to be standing in front of the Brooklyn Bridge??

I know the Brooklyn bridge was completed in 1883.

The Yale Alumni Association started in 1890.

I was wondering if anyone had a guess as to the date of this? I'm thinking late 1890's/ early 1900's. The property and field I found it in dates back to the 1700's, and just about all the items I've found in this field date to the late 1700's and throughout the 1800's.

I don't know how long they used this type of printing plate, especially with nails, perhaps into a wooden back. Any ideas?

CODY
08-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh Wow, How cool is that?!! Great find. Congrats!

Tony Two-Cent
08-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I wonder if it's a wax seal? :thinkingabout:

Seems to be about the right size for one.

Or perhaps it was just used with ink to stamp onto stationary.

Very interesting find! :yes:

buck57
08-15-2012, 04:37 PM
I'll have to agree with Tony, Very interesting find. :wow:. Got to be some history with that. :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-16-2012, 04:46 AM
it's definitely a printing plate.i dug 2 at a old home made of the same composition with the rusty 4 holes in the corners. very cool find with a prominent name.mine were blah! :hysterical:

Fire Fighter 43
08-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Cool find, WTG |:cheering:

Thiltzy
08-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Very unusual find. Love those tipes of discoveries. :cheering: big gratz to ya

Sal66
08-21-2012, 09:12 PM
mdakin , NICE FIND ! My mind says to contact someone from the School that works in the Historical Dept. . I'm sure they would know exactly what it is and what it was used for .I noticed there are 4 holes on the back, so it must have been mounted. >:tongue:
It definitely looks like a School seal and probably is worth a good amount Historically to the School and monetarily to a collector of these items. Yale is only about an hour from my house which is cool. Do you live in CT ? . Like I said before, contacting the school might be a good idea. You don't have to tell them where you found it or anything. If you need help locating someone to talk to, I'm willing to help. Maybe you can at least get a year and it's exact form of use. Let me know, ok ?
Looking at the back, it looks like some kind of pot metal. Actually it has that pewter appearance. Pewter flakes like that . I have some pewter buttons and they are flaked like that. I'm sure the front must have been brass guilted . Did you a search of the Alumni Club ? I'll see what I can find out for you. I'm surprised Dan (del) hasn't posted a reply, he might know more about it.