PDA

View Full Version : Fresh dropped Seated !

PL8MAN
08-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Well summer vacation is coming to an end for my kids . My Daughter started back today at high school but my Son does not start back to junior high till next Monday . Since we were both home we got the Whites detectors and hunted a local middle school :grin: . We didn't hunt long due to the heat but it didn't take long to find something great ! We were in the corner of the soccer field when I got a +76 , +78 on the surface . 99% of the time that would be a copper penny or a clad dime , not this time . When I got down to dig and move the grass around I saw a silver edge of a dime . I could not believe it when I saw the words ONE DIME on the back :shocked04: ! I took a picture before I even touched it . When I turned it over thinking Barber I was stunned to see beautiful Lady Liberty just sitting and waiting for me <: . It's my first Seated coin in well over a year . What are these kids thinking dropping all these old coins , I'm glad they are not thinking . It's a 1890 in good condition and my 2nd 1800's coin of 2012 . Man do I love hunting schools . thumbsup01
HH
Glen

aloldstuff
08-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Gotta love the kids. :congrats: on finally getting a seated after such a long stretch. |:cheering:

dalewestaby
08-14-2012, 07:11 PM
unreal! I havent even found a barber yet. I have 200+ hours in this summer... COngrats man :cool:

CODY
08-14-2012, 07:14 PM
WTG and on the surface at that. Congrats, I'm still waiting for that first seated.

Tony Two-Cent
08-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Man, that's crazy! :twirlingeyes:

Congrats on the great stroke of luck! <:

milco
08-14-2012, 09:42 PM
There is some parent out there who is now short one seated coin from there collection! Show n tell at school continues to produce MDing finds!

Sal66
08-15-2012, 06:51 AM
:congrats: Beautiful find ! Question for ya. What did you do with it after you found it? Did you clean it ? It looks better in the Pic with it laying in the grass. Please tell me you didn't shine it up . I never touch older silver coins because they scratch so easily. When getting it graded, it's better if it has that old look with what I call the siver patina . I made that mistake once and it looked good to the naked eye, but with the Loop you could see the swirl marks from cleaning it. I use the rinse with soap and done method. If you didn't clean it then excuse my lecture on how to handle Silver Coins and I apologize.

PL8MAN
08-15-2012, 09:35 AM
:congrats: Beautiful find ! Question for ya. What did you do with it after you found it? Did you clean it ? It looks better in the Pic with it laying in the grass. Please tell me you didn't shine it up . I never touch older silver coins because they scratch so easily. When getting it graded, it's better if it has that old look with what I call the siver patina . I made that mistake once and it looked good to the naked eye, but with the Loop you could see the swirl marks from cleaning it. I use the rinse with soap and done method. If you didn't clean it then excuse my lecture on how to handle Silver Coins and I apologize.

I didn't clean it and decided I will not for the same reasons you give . I like it's look thumbsup01 . When I do clean silver I use baking soda and a small amount of water .
Thanks
Glen

buck57
08-15-2012, 11:34 AM
:congrats: great job Glen. That's a beauty thumbsup01

JTGOLD
08-15-2012, 02:10 PM
thats a very nice find,wtg.

jkress
08-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Wow... a recent drop? Very crazy, but an awesome one for the keeper pocket.
Congrats PL8MAN. :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
08-16-2012, 11:32 AM
Very nice, some kid got in trouble for loosing a coin from his dads collection. WTG |:cheering:

starman2
08-16-2012, 11:54 AM
:perfect10: :wow:! That is a beauty! :congrats: That was layin on top. Just think whats underneath? :yes:! WTG! HH!