PDA

View Full Version : beat up flying eagle cent

randy
03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
It seems embarrassing to post such a beat up coin, but yeah, that is an 1858 flying eagle I dug today. It is something I never expected to ever find. The reason to post is because it was VDI +27 both in the ground and on an air test. I never expected to find a US coin at that number, and for the life of me, couldn't figure out what it could be at the time. Now I know -- learn something new every day. I could barely make out the wreath and couldn't believe it was an Indian at such a low number (Most VDIs in that range at this site are shotgun shells, but sometimes colonial era buttons, so I dig 'em all).

Also dug what appears to be a trio of musket balls.

hoser
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Very cool find indeed Randy. I once thought I found a flying eagle too, only to find out Canada has one with a bird that is similar. :crying02: Well done on a nice coin. thumbsup01

angellionel
03-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Hey, you can't hold the goods on us, even if beat up. lol I have yet to hit on one with the E-Trac, but I have with my GT. That is a sweet find. :yes:

coinnut
03-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I once thought I found a flying eagle too, only to find out Canada has one with a bird that is similar. :crying02:

lol lol Yep, 1967 I think. Might have even been one of then centennial ones 1867-1967. But it does have a nice bird in flight, just scrawnier lol Hoser.... What a bright blus shirt you have on today :yes: :yes: ;)

It seems embarrassing to post such a beat up coin, but yeah, that is an 1858 flying eagle I dug today. It is something I never expected to ever find. The reason to post is because it was VDI +27 both in the ground and on an air test. I never expected to find a US coin at that number, and for the life of me, couldn't figure out what it could be at the time. Now I know -- learn something new every day. I could barely make out the wreath and couldn't believe it was an Indian at such a low number (Most VDIs in that range at this site are shotgun shells, but sometimes colonial era buttons, so I dig 'em all).

Also dug what appears to be a trio of musket balls.

Never be embarrassed about any Flying Eagle lol They are hard to find, with only two realistic years of production. They do get easily chewed up from the chemicals in fields, due to their copper/nickel makeup. So do the other fat Indians. Because of that composition they all read low like a shot gun shell :ticked: So if you are in an area that has old items, I recommend digging it all. There are a lot of neat finds / tokens that come in on the low scale. Nice finds thumbsup01