PDA

View Full Version : New metal detectoristJUST REGISTERED from southern Louisiana

BEEMAN
08-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I just signed up for the for this metal detector forum. Hope to get some information on places to hunt and other detectorists to hunt with in my area.
I am from southern Louisiana and retired last June. I have gotten interested in metal detecting within the last six months but have not been able to detect but once since then. I raise honey bees as a hobby and produce honey. This has been taking up most of my time over the last six months. The work with my honey bees has slacked now so maybe I can get in some metal detecting soon. I enjoy the outdoors so metal detecting would be right up my alley. I have watched a lot of metal detecting videos and a number from Louisiana. If you are from Louisiana I would appreciate you giving me a shout.

Tony Two-Cent
08-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Welcome to American Detectorist, Beeman! :waving:

Glad you found us here! thumbsup01

It seems like there should be lots of historic places to hunt in your part of the world. Are you near New Orleans?

Best of luck with your detecting and keep us posted on your progress! :yes:

del
08-17-2012, 09:23 PM
hello Beeman and welcome to the forum ;) your in a very beautiful state with tons of old history . watching videos is a great way to familiarize yourself with the hobby , you should also check to see if any local metal detecting clubs are close by . you'll meet great people with tons of experience and maybe meet a new detecting buddy until then we can help you out with a lot of questions . again welcome .

Dan

tanacat
08-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Welcome from Kentucky :groovy: I have many friends and family who keep bees |:cheering:

Good luck getting some time to detect. I like old homesteads and take country drives to scope out my properties. I give a business card when asking permission, I think gives a sense of accountability.

CODY
08-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Welcome from Mississippi. Welcome to the forum. Man, I tell you what. You guys that work with those bees are a special breed. I work for the PD here. Every now and then someone will call about a swarm of bees. We have a gentleman here that also keeps them and sells the honey. We call him to come get them. It's so cool to watch him just scoop them up. Get the queen in the box and the rest will follow. Awesome. Looking forward to your post and finds. What kind of machine do you have and what do you like to hunt. Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck and HH.

Ill Digger
08-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Hey BEEMAN :groovy:
Welcome to the forum from the cornfields of Illinois! :grin:
It sounds like your in a great part of the country to find some nice old coins and relics! :yes: :envious:
Good Luck :yes: thumbsup01 and I can't wait to to see some of your finds! :drool: :->

aloldstuff
08-18-2012, 06:15 AM
Beeman, welcome to the forum from western MA. LA is a great state with tons of history and I hope that you find the time to detect, now that you are retired. Feel free to ask questions and as previously stated check for a club in your area.

Lowjiber
08-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Glad to have you aboard.

I've been retired for a while and don't know how I ever found time to work. I imagine the same will happen to you.

What you swinging?

BEEMAN
08-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Thanks to all of the great welcomes. I only have a starter detector at this time. A Fisher F2 with the 4, 8, and 11 inch double D coils. Only used it twice but it seems to work well. Need more practice with it so I can get to know it's sounds. Franklin is right on the coast. In fact there is only swamp and marsh between me and the Gulf of Mexico. I have been reading and researching the area around here including the Gunboat Diana, Battle of Irish Bend or Nelson's woods. Want to get the exact locations so I can find the land owners where the battles were fought and approach them to try to get permission to hunt the properties. Wish me luck.

buck57
08-18-2012, 07:13 PM
Welcome from mid Missouri BEEMAN. :waving:. Been keeping myself busy this time of year canning fruit. I have about a dozen trees and try to put up as much as possible and it's time consuming. Been hunting in the morning before going in to work. Good luck on acquiring some permission on the properties. Don't for get to post them pic's of your finds. thumbsup01. Eric

Fire Fighter 43
08-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Welcome to the forum from SE Wisconsin. It is good to see you found us, GL and HH.

OxShoeDrew
08-20-2012, 07:50 AM
You are going to love the f2 with all those coil choices. I hope you enjoy your new hobby and your retirement. :waving:

jkress
08-25-2012, 12:55 AM
Thank you for joining us here. :clapping:

From your description... we would get along very nicely if closer. :yes:
Congratulations on retirement. :beerbuddy:

Love the natural honey you folks produce. We always have at least one full bottle in our cupboard. :smitten: Been experimenting
with it in my homemade BBQ sauce lately. :peace: