PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering.

hoser
03-25-2010, 04:30 PM
We are all treasure hunters of one sort or another. Most coinshoot, some relic hunt, and then there are the ones most comfortable being in the water. I have done them all but I like finding coins both new and old. I do like to water hunt but its sometimes tough to get to the spots I want. I have tried relics, but lost interest pretty quick. What made the rest of you choose the type of treasure path you took the most? I would however say that if I lived close to the oceans coast I would spend more time looking for lost jewelery. Just kind of wondering what it was that tripped your trigger. :huh:

coinnut
03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
I agree that if I lived close to the beach, I would probably become a beach hunter. The rewards are great for jewelry, but the old silver is just destroyed by the sand and waves. It makes me wanna cry when I see that barely readable Barber dime :crying02:. I started out being a coinshooter, but in them days it was hard enough listening to that Morse Code of the BFO unit lol You found it all, so you took it all. That opened up the total world of coins, artifacts and junk. If I were starting out today, I would shoot for coins, but doing cellar holes (for the oldest of coins), I would probably be forced into relics, since they come up coin sometimes. For me it's the history and the feelings you get, when you sense the old days, from holding something so old. The nostalgia of it all, I guess. It's also has a big curiosity factor.

Epi-hunter
03-25-2010, 11:06 PM
George said it very well :)

I mostly love the old coins though. The older the better. And not just because they are silver... but because of the history. I love finding them and knowing they were dropped all those years ago and have never been touched since.

Rusthunter
03-25-2010, 11:16 PM
I enjoy finding old coins, but what I like most of all is finding and old relic and trying to figure out what it was used for. Or old buttons. I started out a coin shooter as well, but I enjoy being out in the woods or fields where there are not a million people standing around watching me. Not nearly as impressive clad counts at the end of the year, but I enjoy it.

leslie(nova scotia)
03-26-2010, 07:39 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....being almost surrounded by the ocean and with a kazillion lakes to hunt I'd have to say that it depends on the mood and time of year. Even after 38 years at this hobby i still run out like a kid to every dig and swish. Either or and the oceans hunting is over rated here with lakes being the better venue!

moseng
03-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I am a cache hunter currently masquerading as a coin shooter! :rolleyes:

toehead
03-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Coinshooter here also. Mainly due to my location. If I had civil war sites available to me, I probably would hunt relics also. As I would also water hunt if I had more opportunity. It's the hunt that I crave, not knowing what I will pull from the ground next. Old coins are just the icing on the cake.

upsmanpa
03-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I agree with you about the nostalgia aspect of MD'ing. It's so cool to find something and think if this thing could talk what would it say kinda thing. Keep swinging!

CBnKansas
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I think it is the thrill of the hunt. I mostly coinshoot because it is easy to do when you don't have much time, but I love all of it. I just like to find things no one knows are there. I am the same way fishing. I love to invision where the fish should be and then cast as to lure him from that perfect spot. I even do it when I have a junk car to haul to the crusher. I look for all the loose change and always try to find at least one tool in the car before I scrap it. I recently found a check book that had fallen behind the glove box and had been in the car for years. The man who owned the car drove to my house when I called him to get it. He is a financial planner and that checkbook had driven him crazy not knowing what had happened to it. NOT near as cool as retuning a diamond ring but it was rewarding.

cb

Geekwinkle
04-05-2010, 11:31 PM
While I usually hunt for coins, my preference is military relic hunting. Sadly, Southern Indiana doesn't lend itself much opportunity for that (there was one Civil War skirmish not far from here and the little bit of Revolutionary War/War of 1812 action that occurred here is too far West or North to make for convenient driving...). I love history, particularly the Civil War, and when I lived in north Georgia I had ample opportunity to detect. There's something about digging an object and then being able to often determine which side lost it and envision the fields of battle as they unfolded so long ago that gets to me, knowing I'm the first person to see it in 140+ years.