PDA

View Full Version : Colonial shoe buckles

Merc
08-18-2012, 09:40 AM
I was just wondering if there was a site that might help figure out where certain types of colonial shoe buckles were made. England, France , Etc. This buckle I found a while back and was curious where it might have been made. It's pewter and to stop it from falling apart I used spray shellac on it. Thanks

del
08-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Brandon its definately one of the smaller shoe buckles i've seen :smitten: :smitten:, are you positive its pewter as it doesn't have the usual greyish look about the metal.

OxShoeDrew
08-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Where'd you find that? I don't remember you finding that. Are you hunting with someone else on the side? Who is it,..tell me!! I should have seen the signs.....flat buttons under the car mats....always low batteries. I hope he/she gets skunked forever!!
Oh, actually I think I remember now....sorry. :grin:

Merc
08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Brandon its definately one of the smaller shoe buckles i've seen :smitten: :smitten:, are you positive its pewter as it doesn't have the usual greyish look about the metal.
Dan I'm pretty sure it's pewter, I'll bring it next time we get together for a hunt.

Merc
08-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Where'd you find that? I don't remember you finding that. Are you hunting with someone else on the side? Who is it,..tell me!! I should have seen the signs.....flat buttons under the car mats....always low batteries. I hope he/she gets skunked forever!!
Oh, actually I think I remember now....sorry. :grin:
:white:usaflag:: I give up. Oh wait it was with you. Punk lol

08-20-2012, 08:48 PM
I was just wondering if there was a site that might help figure out where certain types of colonial shoe buckles were made. England, France , Etc. This buckle I found a while back and was curious where it might have been made. It's pewter and to stop it from falling apart I used spray shellac on it. Thanks
Nice buckle Brandon! They did make knee and shoe buckles in the colonial colonies in the early 1700s. As far as who made them is a tough one seeing makers marks are not used.

Merc
08-21-2012, 05:02 AM
Nice buckle Brandon! They did make knee and shoe buckles in the colonial colonies in the early 1700s. As far as who made them is a tough one seeing makers marks are not used.
Interesting article thanks Scott!