PDA

View Full Version : NEW COLONIAL HOME HUNT*LEAD THIMBLE MOLD? & SILVER

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-18-2012, 05:52 PM
always go by this home and often wonder what's in this tiny yard.today going by and see people outside.spun around and asked.house was built in 1792 sure go ahead!was the answer I received, if ya find a million we split it the home owner said.hear that so much it's funny! anyways the yard is very small and seeing how the grass is way higher than the sidewalk I had a feeling it was filled in.the back yard is small too with a swimming pool so much earth being moved around I didn't think I was gonna do all that well,and my suspicions were right.
a bunch of clad not even a wheatie :confused: a couple of old square nails,2 old buttons,a junk ring with 3 initials on it and a mangled unmarked sterling ring that I tried to straighten out and the band split :embarrassed: a kids detective badge probably from the 1940's or so and this hunk of lead with the imprint of a thimble on it.was this some kind of mold or was lead poured into a thimble for ha ha's? :confused:

del
08-18-2012, 06:02 PM
the nails are machine cut from a single sheet of iron Dave thats why they are wide one way and the same thickness the other . that process started way back in the late 1770's and continued until the round wire nails were more efficient and faster to make around the 1850's or 60's . hand wrought nails are more cudely made and not uniformed at all. the buttons were a good sign to bad you didn't get any coins

HEAVYMETALNUT
08-18-2012, 06:04 PM
the nails are machine cut from a single sheet of iron Dave thats why they are wide one way and the same thickness the other . that process started way back in the late 1770's and continued until the round wire nails were more efficient and faster to make around the 1850's or 60's . hand wrought nails are more cudely made and not uniformed at all. the buttons were a good sign to bad you didn't get any coins

oh ok,thanks for that info Dan.any idea on the lead thimble mold thingy? oh and I got coins! didnt ya see em all? <}

del
08-18-2012, 06:14 PM
yeah someone got creative and melted lead into a thimble lol lol . thimbles would of either been cast from brass or copper or more than likely stamped from brass or copper either way lead is softer and melts at cooler temps so it wouldn't of been used in any of the processes. maybe someone was making a home made fishing weight.

Fire Fighter 43
08-19-2012, 06:51 AM
It looks like a great site. Congrats on the nice finds, WTG |:cheering:

aloldstuff
08-20-2012, 09:54 AM
The house definately looks to have potential. Really surprised that no old coins were found. The detective badge is a Chief detective badge. The thimble is a strange situation but as Del says maybe someone was making something else.