PDA

View Full Version : So it begins

gridiron
08-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Now that doubles (2 a day football practices) are over, I've finally had a chance to get out there and actually begin my venture into MDing. Since this was my first search, I thought I'd post the results. I went out with the thoughts of just practicing and not really knowing what to expect. Although I didn't find anything spectacular, it was still pretty cool. I hit the sidelines of a football practice field that had been completely replaced about 5 years ago. Although it wasn't a huge haul and nothing was valuable, it was pretty exciting every time I got a strong signal and started to narrow in on the target. I have to say, I'm hooked. Along with pulling 6 partial or full pop cans out of the ground, I also pulled the following:

[attachimg=1]

I kept the pull tabs because I thought they were pretty cool. Also, the shell casing intrigued me. It was cool to find, but then I realized it was at a location where kids play football.

My question to the community; how do you organize/catalog your finds. I'd like to keep track of everything worthwhile that I find, but I'm not sure what the best method is. Any advice would be appreciated.
Definitely looking forward to getting out there again today.

Fire Fighter 43
08-19-2012, 11:15 AM
WTG, you are off to a good start. |:cheering:
I just keep a note book with the results from each hunt. I include the date, place, detector used, coil used, who gave me permission and any other facts that might help if I return to the site. Then I have a count for clad how many quarters, dimes ect. The older coins wheats, silver and anything older I list the dates. I also lost any other finds, jewelry, relics ect. Hope this helps, HH

starman2
08-19-2012, 12:07 PM
:perfect10:! Looks like a good hunt to me! Like you said. Now it Begins It's too late for you now. You are hooked. Keep hitting that field. :congrats: on some good clad! Quarters are always fun! |:cheering: Welcome to the forum! :grouphug:

aloldstuff
08-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I was so sorry to read your post, another victim of the metal detecting addiction. Very nice 1st hunt, the more you practice the better the finds. :congrats:

CODY
08-19-2012, 02:52 PM
Oh Noooooooo! No turning back now!!! Nice finds! Ditto Fire Fighter 43 on the notebook. Congrats!

Tony Two-Cent
08-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Great post! I'm glad that you posted the results of your first hunt, and I wish more people would do that. I will say that you had pretty good results for your first time out.

Fire Fighter 43 has a very good suggestion about the notebook. I do the same, and I have been since the 1980s.

Congrats on your first hunt and be sure to keep us posted on your future finds! :clapping:

gridiron
08-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts. Fire Fighter 43, the notebook idea sounds perfect. I'm a stickler for stats and records so that should work well for me. This is definitely an addictive hobby. Thought about it all night and went back today with similar results. Can't wait for tomorrow. :thinkingabout: (on a side note, it also felt good to pull out and throw away all the trash that I found in the ground...cleans up the land and the next hunter doesn't have to deal with it)

buck57
08-19-2012, 07:35 PM
:omg: He is one of us now!!! Welcome to the addiction gridiron :waving: I have to agree with Fire Fighter about writing down the dates. As for keeping your finds, well I first sorted every thing. After a couple of hundred pull tabs and crap, that changed to a see through fishing box with compartments for all coins and other nice stuff, while the crap went in to my Junk Box. Well, only in to this hobby for 10 months, that has switched to a massive storage box which my wife supprised me with from one of her scrap booking shops. It's a large storage box, with several smaller see through storage containers in side, simular to fishing boxes. I now have one just for coins (only old ones)(all clad is sorted and put in cups/zip locks), another box for buttons, rings and medalions, one for all my finds from this military school I've been hunting, and then another for larger items. It's nice to go grab the handle and bring it where ever you go, and it's all fairly organized. Now hopefully in a year or two, this massive box will be just for my coins, and I'll need other boxes for every thing else :grin: Good hunting to ya gridiron and keep posting pic's of your finds, thumbsup01 Eric

jkress
08-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Way to go gridiron. :clapping: You are off and running.
Good luck on your next hunt.