PDA

View Full Version : Question: Can a cell-phone cause interference to a metal detector ?

Lope_along
03-26-2010, 04:20 AM
I thought I read this somewhere but would like to know if anybody knows about it.

TIA,

Lope_Along
Andrew

coinnut
03-26-2010, 10:57 AM
I thought I read this somewhere but would like to know if anybody knows about it.

TIA,

Lope_Along
Andrew

I read that too. :confused: In theory, it should be possible, since cell phones emit signals just like any other interference does. In practice, I think the metal in my boots and my monster steel digger, affects my machine more than my cell phone does lol But it may have some silent interference that does not produce a falsing on your machine. Best bet is to limit the amount of any type of interference, if you can.

sjv
03-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I also ran into situations where power lines will interfere with a metal detector. It really sucks when you find a cellar hole near the road :angry:

Lope_along
03-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Rodger that!

A sure sign I'm starting to day-dream is when my model-58 by Predator Tools starts beepin' because
I'm letting it swing too much as I walk. :twirlingeyes:

Lope_Along

CyberSage
03-26-2010, 09:08 PM
I carry a cell phone with me all the time. I have never noted any interference. There are various reports of the phones emitting short blast of interference causing signals when initiating a call or polling on a incoming call intended for it. This would be an easy experiment to conduct. I will let you know what I find. Good project for the weekend.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

leslie(nova scotia)
03-31-2010, 07:23 AM
From the land of the Bluenose.....don't know about that one but high power lines will and some atmospheric conditons will.

CBnKansas
04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Mine was ruining my hunts until I stop answering it rofl
OK, but someone was going to say it.

cb

Ill Digger
04-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Mine was ruining my hunts until I stop answering it rofl
OK, but someone was going to say it.

cb
Mine too...because it rings!! :mad: rofl
It's never bothered me when I left it in the truck....hmmm funny? ;)
I wear carpenter pants all the time and keep my phone in the pocket on the right leg.
I can tell when it's about to ring , I can hear... (I don't know how to explain this) ...interferance or faulsing or chattering or something like that. But I'll hear a thump or a click before , so I know it's going to be the phone.

midas
04-11-2010, 09:48 PM
On the DFX, V3, and Xterra 70, the cell phone causes a chattering tone. Too bad they can't build a cell phone into the detectors, so we could talk and detect at the same time. Or how about a clock on the detectors display, so we know when to go home.

Lope_along
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Bingo! on the clock.
And why not? A simple digital clock is practically nothing in ram or rom going back
even into the old DOS 3.0 / B.A.S.I.C. days. Come'on White's!
I've even started carrying a cheap pocket watch because I hate wrist watches
and don't carry a cell-phone. You would think the V3i would've included this but
whatever,...

Lope_Along

John S
04-19-2010, 03:11 PM
The Etrac or a cz5 I don't think so , but on my f75 yes.