PDA

View Full Version : Spade Modifications

freemindstuck
08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
I modified my garden spade for Relic hunting. My lesche just isn't adequate, as my main tool, for digging in the woods and fields. Digging with a hand trowel requires you to get down closer to the poison ivy, poison oak, ticks, and chiggers. Folding shovels are just not as functional when digging. So I bought a rifle sling from Walmart for 9 dollars, and a couple of carabiner clips. And drilled a couple holes into my shovel with my drill press. I carry the shovel on my back with the rifle sling diagonally across my chest. It works great and is quite comfortable. :yes:

del
08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
not a bad mod freemindstuck
, still looks pretty weighty though . i just had my buddy braze a hook on the back of my predator little eagle relic shovel so i can hang it to my belt up out of the way. still under 2 and 1/2 pounds.i'll try to post pictures a little later.

Dan

del
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks Dan

I weighed it using a bathroom scale and it weighs out at 4.3 pounds. To tell you the truth with the rifle sling and it hanging on my back I don't really notice the weight very much when hunting. I do notice the weight on my detector though. lol It is heavier, but I think the utility of a full size shovel offsets the extra weight.

Adrian

thats not bad for being almost a full sized shovel , way too big for my long hikes . heres mine its just about 31 inches long and i put the hook high enough so it sits very high on my belt up out of the way of my legs to hit it .

RobW
06-13-2013, 01:10 PM
I had been thinking of doing something like that myself :thinkingabout:

Boulder
06-14-2013, 08:49 PM
That is a very cool idea. I like it alot and may try it out.

Thanks, John. thumbsup01

KSHOLLYWOOD
09-29-2013, 11:58 PM
I took my spade that looked just like yours and cut half the blade off, it makes a huge difference in digging. Try it.