PDA

View Full Version : silver sweet sound

michmark
08-21-2012, 11:46 AM
what audio response setting are most the guys using when there demonstrating there silver sweet sound during live digs in the videos or do you get the same sweet sound no matter if its normal, long, smooth or pitch hold when its silver

chief5709
08-21-2012, 11:53 AM
so many settings, so many answers...

Tony Two-Cent
08-21-2012, 06:53 PM
I have always left my audio response set to Normal, but I know that Angel sets his to Long.

Try it both ways on a silver test coin and see which you prefer.

jkress
08-21-2012, 10:45 PM
I have experimented with this in the past, but I prefer the Normal setting as well.

But coming from Angel... Long just might be something to revisit. :yes:

CyberSage
08-22-2012, 08:07 AM
There a few settings on the E-Trac that can help you achieve that Sweet Silver Sound your after. Setting the Tones to Multi is a given, but the following adjustments have an effect as well...

1. Tone Variability (30)
2. Tone Limits (29)
3. Threshold Pitch

Here is Angel's notes on the first two settings.

Tone Variability

This setting, along with Limits, allows the user to fully benefit from the E-Trac's tonal range, making it easier to identify highly conductive targets even among trash. With few exceptions this should be set at or near the maximum setting of 30. My personal preference is 29, though others may like a lower or higher setting.

Tone Limits

Set this to the maximum setting of 30 in order to maximize the tonal difference between targets. When used along with Tone Variability high conductive targets, such as silver, simply 'sing' and will be hard to miss.

Threshold Pitch plays right into the above two settings. I use a setting of 17. The factory default is 15. Next time you get a deep coin try adjusting this setting up or down. You can actually change the pitch of the tonal response in a given range with this setting. As Angel mentioned in his detailed guide to settings for the E-Trac, this setting is one of preference. This is due to the fact that everyone's hearing ability is not the same. Headphones also vary in their response. So the way I have adjusted this setting is quite simple.

1. Bury 3 coins side-by-side at about 5 inches deep. A Clad Dime, a Copper Penny, and a Silver Dime.

2. Move the coil over each coin and note the ID. Hopefully the Silver Dime will come in at 12-45, and the Clad Dime/Copper Penny at 12-44.

3. Now adjust your pitch threshold up or down until That Silver Dime stands out compared to the other 2 coins. Experiment with extreme settings on this to hear what the setting is doing to the tones. Try a setting of 1, then 30. What do you hear? A high Tone Variability setting is critical (30) for this to be noticeable.

For me, and my hearing using the Pro Gold headphones 17 is the magic number. I do really believe a Response setting of Long is important for a better result. Yes, Quarters at shallow depths will sound great as well, but you should be digging those anyway. Good gas money. lol

Jack

ssserena
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
I just did a bench test and I was shocked,i waved a mercury dime in front of the coil on smooth instead of normal and it whistled 2 inches deeper than normal did. All I have to say is wow the other 2 opitions I did not try yet