PDA

View Full Version : new hunting grounds

carl2112
08-21-2012, 02:47 PM
i need help looking for new spots to hunt ive been hitting every tot lot and school in my area with some luck but doing the research on new spots im finding difficult the internets a great tool but getting good old maps or find locations where small parks or towns use to be is tricky. the dont advertise that kind of stuff very well. and i live right outside detroit so my area is old and its been populated for a while the problem is its grown and growing in size with urban sprawl theres still a lot of out line areas that are somewhat rual but im looking for where old dirt roads use to be that didnt get turned into major roads or trails people would walk on a daily basis that are now open feilds or farm land abandoned schools churches or homesteads what do you guys do when looking for or researching a spot ?

DirtyMoney
08-22-2012, 07:12 AM
It's library time. :shocked04:verreaction: Somewhere, there, you'll find a section devoted to the city's history. Included should be some old maps - street and area. Comparing those to current area maps will give you an idea of the places to look.

As in my town, dangerous areas(high crime[drug and homicide]0 are best searched in the early morning or not at all.

milco
08-22-2012, 07:17 AM
What era of or type of sites are you looking for? Decide that and it will allow us to better suggest places to research. For example, are you looking to hunt old homesites in fields and woods? Are you interested in researching older urban parks, etc?

carl2112
08-22-2012, 04:07 PM
old homesites in fields and woods. ive been hiting the older parks and like dirty monet said i live close to detroit id love to go hunt the parks and feilds there sometime but the risk just isnt worth the reward so even a mornign hunt wont work for me there a group hunt might do safety in numbers ya know !

DirtyMoney
08-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Yea. It kinda sucks living in two if the top murder cities in the US. Worse yet, many of the good coins and relics are under that soil.

I'm an early riser during the week, so morning hunts work and have been safe for me for years. Some of the outlying areas have old schools, and parks that no longer exist except on old maps. For example, up here there is an old park from the late 1800's. You would not recognize it - nothing but trees now. It's hard to hunt and gives little, but I have been able to pull a couple of old coins and a roller coaster tie nail out of it. Research at the library was the key there.

Hunting with two or more friends provides some additional safety, but you have to stay aware of where everyone is, and what is going on around them.

Wherever you go, stay safe and HH.

DirtyMoney
08-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Forgot to mention that I often take Dog(Hogan) with me. Once in a while I take the Pup, but she's a pain to hunt with. lol It's surprising, but even the friendliest dog tends to keep trouble away.

HH