PDA

View Full Version : 2-cent coin (Small Motto) Updated picture

sjv
03-26-2010, 02:25 PM
I've found about 8 or 9 in the past 4 years and one was a 1864 small motto . Its seems to be very rare, only found a couple on Ebay. I figure mines worth about $200 or more. Does everyone know that there are about 11 ways to tell it's a small motto? The two biggest ways is first: the D in GOD is slightly smaller than the O. Secondly, The first T in TRUST touches the ribbon. In the large motto theres a 1 mm gap. So next time you find one look very careful. The small motto was the first die used the shortly after they changed the die. That's what I love about detecting, doing the research and finding out more and more about coins. B4 I got into the sport I didnt even now anything about coins B4 the early 1900's. When I got my first 1847 large cent, I was shaking like a leaf, I was so amazed, remember Del?
Now when I find a king george or a large cent I admit it really makes my day still. :)

Its kind of hard to see because they are soo dark with patina, but see how the &quot:grin: is same size as the &quot:daydream:. The first T touches the ribbon. Large Motto: Big &quot:grin: ,One millimeter gap between the first T in trust.

Wow! the coins are much better in person. You know what I mean :rolleyes:

del
03-26-2010, 03:24 PM
yup i remember Sal and i remember you getting three 2 cent coins in one day . that site was very good to all of us.we've pulled almost 40 coins from there and some cool relics since that time.

coinnut
03-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Yep, that site has been pretty good to me, even though I got there late lol Was too late to get the 2 cent pieces or the shield nickels, but I got lots of buttons and a large cent just last visit. Never got a small motto though :( Gotta love the things that turn up at any detecting outing thumbsup01

sjv
03-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys . I looked at Ebay for the small motto and the prices are Huge. At least $200 for the condition I have.

Nitro 54
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Sweet find :smitten: Looks like a new drop :crazy: <: